Students find enjoyment in collecting sports “swag”

A+variety+of+collectible+sports+items.+Many+students+at+the+upper+school+show+their+support+for+their+favorite+teams+by+either+wearing+apparel+or+collecting+items+such+as+posters.+
A variety of collectible sports items. Many students at the upper school show their support for their favorite teams by either wearing apparel or collecting items such as posters.

by Nicole Chen, Features Editor

From apparel and homeware to stationery and pet supplies, collectible sports “swag” has become a popular way of supporting one’s favorite sports team.

Whether it be football, basketball or any sport for that matter, all sports have a wide variety of apparel and other tangible collectible items for public consumption.

Many individuals in the Harker community often support their favorite sports teams by wearing clothing and accessories or maintaining a collection of posters, photographs, mugs and other collectible items.

“[Supporting a team] makes you feel like you’re a part of something big especially if you’re someone who’s moved away from this team,” Jay Paranjpe (12) said. “A lot of seniors are going to college, it makes you feel like you still have ties to your hometown, or you’re still a part of where you grew up.”

Apparel has become a popular way of representing support for one’s favorite sports team. The Golden State Warriors, a basketball team centered in Oakland, CA, has a plethora of jerseys, sweatshirts, shirts and hats on the NBA official store. Similarly, the official online store of the San Francisco 49ers offers a variety of clothing options, including customizable jerseys.

I have my lucky Warriors sweatshirt and I have a pair of Warriors socks and a Warriors beanie,” history teacher and Warriors fan Andrea Milius said. “I don’t have a jersey, but I was thinking about getting a jersey. I would get Shaun Livingston or maybe [Stephen] Curry.”

While numerous students enjoy wearing apparel of a certain team, the notion of collecting jerseys is also common among students.

“I like collecting jerseys,” Constance Horng (10) said. “They’re a great way to show your enthusiasm and pride for a team or for a player.”

Some decide to wear clothing such as jerseys and shirts with a specific team’s logo on them to show confidence in the team they’re supporting.

Besides clothing, sports fans can also purchase and collect a number of items such as cups, flags, blankets and even pet supplies to show their support.

Posters, showing support for numerous football teams, hang on a wall. Many students at the upper school show their support for their favorite teams by either wearing apparel or collecting items such as posters.