Class of 2016 graduates at Saratoga Mountain Winery

The+class+of+2016+throws+their+graduation+caps+into+the+air.+The+graduation+ceremony+for+the+class+of+2016+was+held+at+the+Saratoga+Mountain+Winery+today+from+5+p.m.+to+7+p.m.+

Nicole Chen

The class of 2016 throws their graduation caps into the air. The graduation ceremony for the class of 2016 was held at the Saratoga Mountain Winery today from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

by Tara Parimi and Nicole Chen

The class of 2016 graduated today during a ceremony from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Saratoga’s Mountain Winery with performances from the 2016 graduation chorus, an address from class valedictorian Anika Mohindra (‘16) and speeches by head of upper school Butch Keller, head of school Chris Nikoloff and philanthropist, pediatrician and former lower school science teacher Priscilla Chan.

As friends, family and faculty entered the amphitheater and began to take their seats, the Harker Chamber Orchestra, directed by upper school orchestra conductor Chris Florio, performed prelude music.

At 5 p.m., the seniors and faculty members, all in graduation gowns, walked to their seats in the processional while the Harker Chamber Orchestra played E. Elgar’s “Pomp & Circumstance.”

The 2016 Graduation Chorus, comprised of vocal groups Bel Canto, Cantilena, Camerata and Downbeat, performed “Star-Spangled Banner,” conducted by Jennifer Sandusky.

Following the chorus’ performance, head of upper school Butch Keller gave a welcome address to the audience of seniors, faculty, family and friends and introduced Anika. Anika’s valedictory address centered around the ideas of talent, success and passion; she underscored the importance of the journey rather than the destination, and the significance of “who you know in contrast to what you know.”

“We find things that we enjoy doing, hobbies or pursuits, that bring us a sense of enjoyment or fulfillment, and this is where passion comes in; we can be good at things, but not enjoy doing them and we might not be good at things, but still enjoy doing them,” she said in her speech. “That’s a much better place to start because if you’re truly passionate at doing something, you’ll be able to push yourself to improve.”

She ended her valedictorian address urging students to “Live, Laugh [and] Love.” The 2016 Graduation Chorus and accompanist Elina Sendonaris (‘16) then proceeded to perform John Lennon and Paul McCartney’s “In My Life” under the direction of performing arts teacher Susan Nace.

Following the chorus’ rendition, Chan took the podium to give the commencement address.

“Let’s start with a shout-out to the parents, grandparents, and loved ones who have worked so hard to get all you graduates here,” she said in her speech. “Parents, family, you have done an excellent job. This is your moment in reward for the past 18 years of parenthood.”

At one point in her speech, Chan choked up, sharing memories and anecdotes, describing how the Class of 2016 had impacted her and discussing experiences with adversity. A graduate of Harvard, she highlighted the two significant ideas of carving one’s own path and leading lives of service, and explained how being a first generation college student influenced her goal of empowering youth.

“Focus on the change you want to see in the world,” she said. “Take risks, ask for help, believe in yourself.”

Chan serves as the Co-Chair of the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and the CEO of Primary School, a non-profit which will offer free educational and health services to children and families in East Palo Alto and Belle Haven starting from August 2016.

She ended her speech by reading entries seniors had left in her 2008 lower school yearbook. Addressing Chan’s departure to medical school at the University of San Francisco, former students Namitha Vellian (‘16) and Naomi Molin (‘16) left messages saying “Good luck. I really, really hope you graduate (you probably will)” and “Too good to be forgotten.”

After Chan’s keynote, the senior Honor Council chairs and NHS representatives passed on leadership responsibilities to their junior counterparts.

Nikoloff gave his Farewell to Graduates speech advocating a “take and make model of life,” telling students to accept the past and look to prior experiences to shape the present.

“You took what came and now you are here. You took the best of it and that’s why we call it commencement, the beginning of what? — We don’t really know,” Nikoloff said in his Farewell to Graduates speech. “In philosophical terms, making your life is an existential point of view; taking your life is a fatalistic point of view. I say both viewpoints are true; you make your life, but only after it is handed to you.”

After Nikoloff’s speech, he, Keller, and senior class dean Dr. Matthew Harley presented the 187 members of the graduating class their diplomas. In accordance with tradition, Nikoloff and Asst. Head of School Jennifer Gargano then released doves into the air to symbolize the graduates leaving the nest.

Graduation exercises came to close as seniors threw their caps into the air, recessing to Saint-Saëns’ “Marche Heroique.”