Students share unique Thanksgiving traditions

For many families, Thanksgiving involves a dinner featuring turkey and mashed potatoes among other dishes. Four students have shared their own traditions celebrating Thanksgiving day with close relatives and friends.

With the holiday season upon us, students and their families embrace traditional Thanksgiving customs by feasting on hearty turkey dinners and watching football games. However, Thanksgiving is not limited to ample cuisine and entertainment. These students shared their own unique Turkey Day traditions.

Aarti Kheshkani (9)

Each Thanksgiving, Aarti and her mother prepare a classic dessert and bring it to a holiday party.

“Every year I make apple pie with my mom,” she said. “We start really early in the morning because we make it from scratch, and I just get to spend some more time with my mom.”

After baking, Aarti and her family celebrate on a larger scale elsewhere instead of having dinner at home.

“We usually go to my mom’s best friend’s house and celebrate there with a lot of people.”

While Aarti’s family and friends usually feast on a traditional turkey dinner with mashed potatoes, the party crowd also plays simple party games.

“One time we wrote down what we were thankful for, and other people had to guess whose paper it was,” she said. “It was a cool way to get to know each other more personally.”

This basic tradition is a great way for Aarti to bond with family and friends, many of whom she “wouldn’t get to see otherwise.”

However, Aarti adds that her Thanksgiving experience is more than just dinner and a party.

“[Thanksgiving] is just about being with my family the whole day and doing things together,” she said. ‘We don’t really have a lot of time to spend together on a regular basis.”

Aarti enjoys the “cheesy games” her family and friends play, though her favorite part about Thanksgiving is simply being with her loved ones.

Glenn Reddy (10)

Every year, Glenn and his family attend a large family reunion for Thanksgiving.

“Every year, my dad’s side of the family has a big get together. I haven’t gone every year, but I usually try to go,” he said.

Last year, around 60 of Glenn’s family members spent the holiday in San Diego to celebrate his aunt’s birthday during Thanksgiving break with a potluck-style event.

“We all cooked different dishes and had a huge meal followed by my aunt’s party,” he said.

This year, however, Glenn and his family visited Arizona to not only enjoy Thanksgiving day, but also to attend a wedding.

“It was really fun since more of the family came out […] so it was great to see them all again,” he said.

Glenn says the trip not only helped bring his family closer, but also allowed him to experience a traditional Indian wedding for the first time.

“I had never been to an Indian wedding before, as they had all been during school in the past,” he said. “It was a cool experience.”

Glenn and his family hope to continue their tradition of holding a large family gathering each Thanksgiving.

Krish Sanghi (11)

During Thanksgiving break, Krish and his family usually embark on a day trip to Santa Cruz to visit family.

“We have some relatives who we typically celebrate with. Usually it’s just a traditional turkey dinner, but it’s always great to see family again,” he said.

Before dinner, however, Krish and his family spend the day hiking in the Santa Cruz mountains.

“It’s a really great way to enjoy some family time before sitting down for a huge dinner,” he said.

Krish explains that the hike does more than build up his appetite, as it reminds him to count his blessings.

“The long, scenic walk helps me realize what I’m thankful for,” he said. “It’s a really great experience, and it’s even better to share it with my family.”

After spending the day outdoors, Krish and his family sit down for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with a cultural twist.

“We do eat normal Thanksgiving food like turkey and mashed potatoes, but we also celebrate our Indian culture by preparing chicken kebabs as well.” he said. “It’s a fun way to celebrate Thanksgiving and celebrate our own culture at the same time.”

For Krish, Thanksgiving is a reminder to not take what he has for granted, as he values giving thanks on a regular basis.

“Even though it’s great to celebrate Thanksgiving, it shouldn’t be the only day you celebrate everything you have,” he said. “We should be thankful for everything everyday. Thanksgiving is just your chance to do all that with your family.”

Krish looks forward to his annual trip to Santa Cruz each Thanksgiving as it gives him a chance to spend some time with relatives he seldom sees.

Alice Tsui (12)

Every year on Thanksgiving, Alice Tsui and her family enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with appeal to their Chinese background.

“I’m a first-generation American kid, so my family is pretty traditional in the cultural sense, but we still celebrate Thanksgiving,” she said.

In addition to their usual turkey centerpiece, Alice and her family enjoy turkey fried rice to embrace their Chinese culture.

“My mom started this little tradition a few years ago by making turkey fried rice for dinner alongside the actual turkey,” she said. “Kind of funny to think about, considering I’m Chinese, but it’s delicious.”

Alice believes that this unique spin on traditional turkey dinners unifies her American and Chinese culture background.

“The dinner really helps bring my family together, and I love how the fried rice dish brings a traditional Chinese vibe to the table,” she said.

Alice believes Thanksgiving is just one “out of many days of the year” people should remember all that they have to be thankful for. She looks forward to next year’s Thanksgiving feast along with her mother’s turkey fried rice dish.