TESLA MOTORS: Changing the face of the automobile industry

James Lipman

Vroom vroom! Millions of automobiles pull into gas stations every day, but those routine stops may soon be replaced with lithium ion car batteries that can be easily recharged in home garages. The Tesla Roadster, a 100% electric car produced by Tesla Motors, runs on this type of rechargeable battery.

Introduced by Tesla Motors in 2006, the Roadster received excellent reviews —including one by The Winged Post— at auto shows upon its release and has since been sold to over 1,000 customers in Europe and North America. With 244 miles per charge, the Roadster’s efficiency is about the equivalent of 135 miles per gallon, far exceeding other hybrid cars in production.

With a base price of just over $100,000, the Roadster can go from 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and consumes no oil or gasoline at all. The car can be charged just like a cellular phone: plugged into any standard outlet in a house garage, parking structure, or hotel. A full charge takes only 3.5 hours, so overnight charging and longer road trips are easily possible. The Roadster can also run on solar, hydro, coal, or nuclear energy in addition to electric charge.

According to spokesperson Rachel Konrad of Tesla Motors Europe, Tesla targets customers from three main groups: “people who buy high-performance sports cars…people who are environmentally conscious… and people who want to wean America from its dangerous addiction to oil,” she said.

Some students find the cost of electric cars to be their main drawback.

“It’s really cool that they can use alternative fuel. The only thing that brings it [down] is its cost, but other than that it’s a really cool invention,” Govinda Dasu (10) said.

However, despite its steep price, the Roadster can save an owner up to $131 per month in gas and other expenses because it “does not need oil changes, pistons, spark plugs, alternators, radiators or other parts associated with gasoline vehicles, including hybrids,” Konrad said.

“I think it’s a good way to save money and prevent pollution,” Andre Tran (9) said.

Similarly, Henna Mishra (11) believes that more publicity about the benefits of electric cars would expand the market’s clientele. “My dad wants to buy one. He says it’s going to save us money,” she said. “If there is more awareness and education about electric cars and people learn the benefits of using them compared to gasoline cars, then people will be able to embrace them.”

Nonetheless, Anshul Gupta (12) feels that electric cars “are kind of silly because I don’t think that people are ever going to really embrace them – we’re so rooted in gasoline cars,” he said.

Other Tesla models include the Roadster Sport, which can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds, slightly faster than the regular Roadster. In addition, Tesla is developing the Model S, a more spacious sedan that will have a range of 300 miles and seat seven people. Deliveries for the Model S are scheduled to begin in 2012.

“It’s safe to say that consumers will increasingly have a choice among gas-powered cars and alternative-fuel vehicles” like Tesla’s vehicles, Konrad said.

The company, a 2003 Silicon Valley startup now headquartered in Palo Alto, also stresses the importance of environmentalism and achieving zero-emission transportation. Electric cars may also receive carpool lane access or special parking privileges.

Konrad said, “Our customers are the best evangelists for [promoting environmentalism]. We have customers who power their car 100 percent with renewable energy… these solutions to personal transportation are only possibly in a 100 percent electric car.”