Anatomy of a climb

Michigan’s rise to the top of college football might be more accidental than you think
The Big 10 suspended University of Michigan football head coach Jim Harbaugh for three games on Nov. 10 after reports of a Wolverines staffer’s sign-stealing plot sparked major headlines. (Jessica Wang)

The Big 10 suspended University of Michigan football head coach Jim Harbaugh for three games on Nov. 10 after reports of a Wolverines staffer’s sign-stealing plot sparked major headlines. 

Less than two months later, Harbaugh raised the national championship trophy. His team stood on top of the college football world after a multiple-touchdown victory against Washington.

The NCAA and Big 10 investigation into an alleged scheme, in which a Michigan staffer recorded opposing teams’ signs at their home games, took longer than expected. Michigan fired the staffer accused of stealing signs before any verdict appeared, but Harbaugh was still suspended after almost two weeks of waiting.

The suspension was also Harbaugh’s second of the season. Michigan’s self-imposed punishment, a practice where teams can take accountability and delegate their own punishments for low-level recruiting violations, took the coach out for the first three games of the season. Between the two suspensions combined, Harbaugh missed half of his team’s regular-season contests. 

All championship teams experience struggles, but they usually unfold over multiple years as coaches rebuild programs to top-tier levels. A historic program facing such controversy yet returning to the top of college football within the same season is unprecedented.

Interestingly, the scandal might be why Michigan closed this gap with such ease. When overcoming in-season struggles strengthens teams’ resolve, it usually comes at an on-field cost, such as narrow losses or injuries to crucial players. The best teams are able to respond by improving despite these events, and players step up to improve the squad. For instance, the Florida State Seminoles, who lost Heisman contender quarterback Jordan Travis for the season in Week 11, ended up winning this year’s ACC championship with relative ease, despite the loss of their superstar field general.

Even after their head coach’s return and their ascent to number one in the nation going into the CFP, the team played with a palpable chip on their shoulder

In contrast, Michigan attained underdog status without ever facing adversity on the field, as the team was undefeated and healthy yet staring down the barrel of Harbaugh’s suspension. In the weeks following, the Wolverines played with a newfound intensity after Harbaugh’s suspension only led to increased dominance on the field, including a win over their rival, Ohio State.

Even after their head coach’s return and their ascent to number one in the nation going into the CFP, the team played with a palpable chip on their shoulder. The Wolverines bullied opponents on defense and in the run game, while attacking aggressively through the air and forcing crucial turnovers.

The scandal breathed new life into a team that, at the time, struggled to separate itself from the pack of blue-bloods at the top of the CFP rankings. While initially the verdict from the investigation seemed as if it could sink the Wolverines’ hopes for the season and set the program back years, it ended up being a driving factor towards their title win, creating a legend that will last as long as the 2023-24 championship banner hangs.