Varsity boys basketball defeated by Lynbrook 42-52 after leading in first two quarters

Advay Monga (11) drives along the baseline with a defender on his hip. Advay scored seven points in the Eagles’ game against the Lynbrook Vikings. (Katelyn Zhao)

The varsity boys basketball team succumbed to Lynbrook 42-52 during a home game on Nov. 25.

Both teams traded points at the beginning of the first quarter after Lynbrook won the tipoff. Co-captain shooting guard Max Xing (12) scored consecutive 3-pointers, bringing the score to 17-14. With 4:11 left on the clock, Harker pulled into the lead at 24-16, causing Lynbrook to call a timeout. Small forward Advay Monga (11) cleared a 3-pointer off an assist by Co-captain point guard Bowen Xia (11) allowing Harker to end the second quarter with a 29-22 lead. 

Point guard Justin Chao (12) returned to the team this season after not playing for a year. This was his second game with the team.

“I personally had a pretty tough game,” Justin said. “We had expectations for the game already and were overconfident. But I’m playing because of my love for the sport this season, and it’s about finding what works for the rest of the season.”

Returning from halftime, Lynbrook scored three shots in a row, bringing the total score to a close 29-28. The Vikings continued to pull ahead, gaining 11 more points to end the quarter 32-39. Going into the fourth quarter, Lynbrook dominated the game, with Harker down 39-46 as they called another timeout. Max scored a 3-pointer with 21 seconds left on the clock, rounding out the final score with Harker trailing Lynbrook 42-52.

“We got complacent after the second half after we had a lead, and we let them get a big run in the third quarter,” Bowen said. “We finished out strong, but it was just one stretch in the middle where we were relaxing a little bit.”

The team currently holds a season record of 1-1. Varsity boys basketball head coach Alfredo Alves highlighted the team’s focus on commitment and collaboration this season. Despite this loss, he has high hopes for the team, especially for the James Lick tournament in which they play against Andrew Hill High School on Wednesday.  

“One of the biggest things that we’ve been talking about is team culture and working hard every single time in every drill — just being there for your teammates and playing together as a team,” Alves said.