Dancing with determination

Claire Cheng (11) leaves her mark onstage
Young Min
Claire Cheng (11) poses at the upper school campus. Claire dances both competitively and in Harker Dance Company.

All eyes turn to a black-clad figure strutting onto the stage. Cheers die down. Silence fills the room. The mysterious dancer lowers her head and waits for the music to cue. The melancholy chords of “My Way” by Frank Sinatra reverberate from the speakers, and the performance finally begins. Claire Cheng (11) springs into life, moving her body to the music like second nature. The dancers around her compliment her movements with perfect synchronization, their powerful movements conveying a strong sense of despair and anxiousness. As the song picks up pace, more dancers enter the stage, putting on a performance that would not only bring the audience to tears but also take home the grand prize.   

Claire developed the ability to convey such emotion on stage through years of practice. She began dancing when her parents enrolled her in her preschool’s dance program, where she first discovered her enjoyment for the art form. In first grade, she joined her school’s new competitive dance team, marking the beginning of her competitive dance career. 

Initially, Claire did not face many challenges. The newly formed team shared a strong willingness to learn, and her dance instructors never pressured the team to win, instead focusing on cultivating students’ passion for dance. The team participated in its first competition in Los Angeles, a special memory for Claire. 

“I remember distinctly because the Abby Lee Dance Company was at that competition,” Claire said. “It was my first competition ever, so it was really memorable. I remember being very inspired.”

With more experience, I’ve gotten a lot more comfortable with [performing]. Now, I try to see it as enjoying my time on stage instead of putting so much pressure on myself

— Claire Cheng (11)

Claire continued competing and started taking on more dance routines each year, the most being twelve dances in one season. Claire’s willingness to take on such a busy schedule testifies to her developed skills as a performer. However, when she first began her dance journey, she also faced struggles.  

“For my first solo was when I was in fifth grade, I remember being extremely nervous and worried about doing all my skills perfectly,” Claire said. “But overtime, with more experience, I’ve gotten a lot more comfortable with [performing]. Now, I try to see it as enjoying my time on stage instead of putting so much pressure on myself.” 

Claire formed close friendships with her teammates, whom she has known since elementary school. One formative experience for Claire was her first duet with close friend Lily Ohara. During the performance, the duo attempted a back walkover. Lily fell on her head and suffered a concussion on stage. 

“At the time when I was on stage, I was so shocked that I blanked out, and we were both just standing on stage not moving for ten seconds,” Claire said. “We looked at the judges, and they were telling us to keep going, but we were just standing there for so long. Finally we remembered, and we still laugh about it to this day.”  

Throughout the years, Claire grew more comfortable performing in front of a large audience. Performing on stage has shed its daunting image, leaving Claire with ease that allows her to make the most of her time on stage. This newfound confidence encouraged Claire to pursue opportunities outside of her competitive dance team. 

Claire Cheng (11) leaps during a competition routine. “Dance has helped me become a lot more confident, not only on stage, but just in general,” Claire said. (Provided by Claire Cheng)

Claire joined the Harker Dance Company in her sophomore year. Afraid of the time commitment, she refrained from joining HDC in her freshman year but later changed her mind after seeing the team’s performances. Seeing HDC perform sparked a new desire within Claire to be a part of the larger Harker dance community. 

“It’s been one of the best decisions I’ve made because I’ve met so many people who have similar interests to me, and it has been a great experience,” Claire said. “I was originally only going to do it my sophomore year, but I just enjoyed it so much that I decided to do it again.”

Claire’s definitely one of the most talented dancers I have ever seen. Her movement style is very advanced, and you can tell that by the way she dances and the way she conveys emotion

— HDC teammate Emily Kwan (12)

Through joining HDC, Claire formed new friendships with her teammates and found another pillar for support in her dance career. Fellow team member and friend Emily Kwan (12) expands on Claire’s elevated technique and ability to express sentiment.

“Claire’s definitely one of the most talented dancers I have ever seen,” Emily said. “Her movement style is very advanced, and you can tell that by just the way she dances and the way she conveys emotion.”

Over the years, Claire learned how to manage her time. She often completes her homework during office hours or long lunch and frequents the library to focus on her work, balancing her dance life with her school life. 

As a junior, Claire participates in HDC and choreography classes, which provide moments of relaxation during her intense school day. Claire now views dance as her safe haven and appreciates the transformative lessons the art has taught her.

“Dance has helped me become a lot more confident, not only on stage, but just in general,” Claire said. “Now, I’m just very comfortable being in front of people. I don’t have stage fright, and it’s all very comfortable.”