Humans of Harker team hosts environmental portrait workshop

Kinnera Mulam
Co-Managing Editor Jonny Xue (11) leads Harker journalism reporters in a game of “Humans of Harker: Hooray or Horror.” In the activity, reporters critiqued past environmental portraits.

Humans of Harker staff presented to Harker Journalism reporters about how to take environmental portraits for profiles yesterday during long lunch in the journalism room. 

Starting in 2016, the Humans of Harker project has published full-length profiles of members of the graduating class each year. The Humans of Harker team — Co-Editor-in-Chiefs Olivia Xu (12) and Katelyn Zhao (12); Co-Managing Editors Michelle Wei (12), Sidak Sanghari (11) and Jonny Xue (11); and Profiler Aryana Bharali (11) — created yesterday’s presentation to prepare the reporters for their profile assignments this year.

“I thought it was very informative,” Reporter Kairui Sun (10) said. “They presented a lot of real examples, and they weren’t afraid to talk through the intricacies and details of the process, so I’ll definitely keep all this in mind for my portraits.”

Sophomore reporters listen to the Humans of Harker presentation about environmental portraits yesterday in the journalism room. In the presentation, reporters learned about the qualities that produce an effective portrait. (Kinnera Mulam)

In the presentation, Olivia, Michelle and Katelyn discussed the factors required for an effective photograph like lighting, composition and relevance to the senior’s personality. To help the reporters practice their skills, Jonny and Aryana led a game of “Humans of Harker: Hooray or Horror,” in which reporters deemed various past photographs acceptable (Hooray) or poor (Horror).

Photo Editor Brandon Zau (12) demonstrated proper profile photo-taking etiquette by pretending to take environmental portraits of Kairui on the French Patio, highlighting how reporters should make sure their respective seniors feel comfortable during the process.

“Now, I feel pretty relaxed and calm [about taking portraits] since I think I generally know what I have to do because they gave us a lot of tips on how to do it,” Kairui said. Looking ahead, the Humans of Harker team plans to publish the first batch of profiles on Harker Aquila within the next month.

Humans of Harker Co-Managing Editor Michelle Wei (12) and Co-Editor-in-Chiefs Olivia Xu (12) and Katelyn Zhao (12) laugh at the presentation. The team sent out the first round of profile assignments on Aug. 21. (Kinnera Mulam)