Associated Student Body (ASB) election speeches to take place tomorrow

Isha Moorjani

A voting sign stands outside the journalism room for elections for the Class of 2025 on Oct. 1. Voting for ASB elections will take place in the journalism room tomorrow from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.

by Isha Moorjani, News Editor

The upper school will follow a special schedule tomorrow with Associated Student Body (ASB) candidate speeches taking place at 9:35 a.m. in the Athletic Center (AC) in place of morning office hours. Following speeches, the remainder of the morning block period will be dedicated to ReCreate Reading group meetings for all grades but seniors, and voting will take place at the journalism room from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Freshmen, sophomores and juniors will watch the speeches, and seniors will attend a class meeting with upper school head Butch Keller. According to Schoology posts by ASB President Dawson Chen (12) and ASB Vice President Ayan Nath (12), ASB vice president primary elections took place on Friday to narrow down the candidates from the eight students expressing interest in the position: Mir Bahri (11), Anaya Mandal (10), Krish Maniar (11), Gordon Chen (11), Rupert Chen (11), Alan Jiang (11), Daniel Lin (10) and Cynthia Wang (10). Students had the opportunity to view the vice-presidential candidates’ campaign speeches online to read about their ideas and initiatives before voting, which opened at 11 a.m. and closed at 3:30 p.m.

“Thanks for voting today for the ASB VP Primary election; the voter turn-out was 72%!” Ayan wrote in a Schoology post on Friday. “The four finalists for Monday’s general election are Gordon Chen, Daniel Lin, Cynthia Wang, and Rupert Chen.”

The president’s duties include leading Student Council and school meetings as well as creating committees. The vice president’s duties include filling in for the president or other council members when necessary, creating bonding activities and maintaining the Student Council’s documents. Creating meeting agendas, keeping track of meeting attendance and writing meeting minutes falls under the Secretary’s duties, and the treasurer must manage the budget and fundraisers and maintain accounting records. The spirit coordinator has the responsibility of collaborating with the Student Activities Board (SAB) as president of the board and leading spirit events. 

The final candidates are as follows: 

President: Alex Lan (11) and Kris Estrada (11)  

Vice President: Gordon, Daniel, Cynthia and Rupert 

Secretary: Michelle Jin (11) and Richard Zhang (11)

Treasurer: Abhi Namala (11), Jacob Huang (11), Kabir Ramzan (10)

Spirit Coordinator: Sara Wan (11), Zubin Khera (11), BB Ajlouny (11) and Ashley Ma (11)

A previous version of this article stated that the ASB candidate speeches would take place over Zoom instead of in the Athletic Center. The article also failed to mention that Kabir Ramzan (10) is also running for treasurer. The article has been updated on March 27, 2022, to reflect the correction of these errors.