Keller’s Korner – September 1

The first week of school encompassed several introductory events to settle students into the school year, including Matriculation, the Conservatory Kick-off, and the first football game of the season.

“The highlight of the week was just seeing all the students so excited about being here,” Butch Keller said. “I always like the enthusiasm and the energy in the air right before the first football game. Matriculation was [also] fun with the skits, and I think that the student council did a good job.”

Matriculation took place on Monday, August 27, during which the student council and ASB performed a skit to introduce freshmen and new students to the community and give them a perspective of life at the Upper School. Head of School Chris Nikoloff addressed students with a speech about the importance of “Jam Sessions,” while Keller emphasized the significance of setting goals for the year.

On Wednesday, August 29, students participating in the Performing Arts department attended the annual Conservatory Kick-off. New students were introduced to the program, while returning students learned more about programs and changes for the year. The themes for the Spring Musical and Dance Production were both announced: Oklahoma! and the Elements, respectively.

Finally, the first football game of the season wrapped up the week on a positive note. On Friday, August 31, the Eagles defeated Yerba Buena High School at a varsity home game with a strong score of 49-0. Led by captains Spenser Quash (12), Drew Goldstein (12), Ryan Mui (12), JP Doherty (12), and Michael Chen (12), the team will play its next game on Friday, September 7, against Andrew Hill High School.

More events to look forward to next week include a schoolwide assembly, an update on the water polo teams, and the first freshman advisory session with Link Crew members.