Varsity girls basketball team dominates Lincoln 50-15

Alysa Suleiman

With her eyes on the players in front of her, Grace Hoang (11) runs while dribbling the basketball down the court. The varsity girls basketball team defeated Lincoln High School 50-15 at home on Tuesday, Nov. 30.

by Alysa Suleiman, Co-Editor-In-Chief

The varsity girls basketball team won 50-15 against Lincoln High School on Tuesday, Nov. 30 during their second game of the season. The girls also won 44-31 against Sobrato High School on Nov. 23 over the Thanksgiving break. 

Co-captain Alexa Lowe (12) secured the opening tipoff, and the Eagles jumped ahead to a fast start. Claire Miao (10) made a 3-pointer in the final seconds of the first quarter, putting the Eagles ahead by 13 points with a score of 19-6. 

“Anjali [Yella (10)] is really well-rounded. She’s good at defense and she can hustle up and down the court,” said co-captain Cindy Su (12), in reference to Anjali’s layup that brought the score from 12-4 to 14-4 during the first quarter. “It’s good to see because it pushes you to work as hard as her, if not harder.”

Three minutes into the second quarter, Cindy scored on an assist from Alexa, bringing the overall score to 23-10. With three minutes and 52 seconds left in the quarter, Alexa cut backdoor with a pass from Alexis “Lexi” Nishimura (11) and scored, prompting Lincoln to call a timeout. After Claire Miao (10) made a 3-pointer to bring the score to 31-10, Isabella Lo (9) brought the girls up to 33 before Lincoln scored another basket. The final score at halftime was 33-12.

The girls continued to dominate in the second half, ending the third quarter with a 38-15 lead. Lexi made the last layup to end the game. 

“During the fourth [quarter], our passing game went really well,” Isabella Lo (9) said. “A lot of the older girls have been super welcoming, especially the team captains. They [have] really made an effort to welcome everyone in.”

Since their first game, assistant varsity girls basketball coach Rick Rievhoff has noticed a significant improvement in both the team’s defense game and growth in their camaraderie.

“Things we’ve been working on in practice, the girls are starting to show on the floor,” Rievhoff said. “There’s still some things we need to work on like patience on offense, but overall, I think it was a pretty good effort.”

The girls won their following game 70-28 against Overfelt High School on Wednesday and 58-4 against San Jose High School on Saturday. The girls will play King’s Academy next this coming Wednesday, Dec. 8.