Freshman and sophomore girls volleyball team falls to Notre Dame-Belmont

Sally Zhu

Sophomore Emily McCartney receives a serve during the freshman and sophomore girls volleyball team’s match against Notre Dame-Belmont yesterday. The girls lost 12-25, 18-25.

by Sally Zhu, A&E and Lifestyle Editor

The freshman and sophomore girls volleyball team lost to Notre Dame-Belmont 12-25, 18-25 on Tuesday at home, bringing their record to 0-6. 

Coach Joanie Marciano believes the team will continue to improve as the season progresses and as they practice and play more together. Marciano said that many of the athletes on the team are new to volleyball and may get nervous during games. Even though the nerves may prevent them from playing to the best of their abilities, Marciano anticipates the rest of the season and appreciates the team’s spirit and energy. 

“I wouldn’t trade them for any team at all, just because of the enthusiasm that they have every day,” Marciano said. “A lot of teams don’t have that. They know the season is going to be a long season  because there are a lot of new players new to volleyball, but they’re always there to have fun.”

Emily McCartney (9), who plays outside hitter, hopes to improve her serve and receive passing. 

“We’ve had a lot of fun as a team,” Emily said. “We’re getting better as a team, communicating earlier. I think we can get our first win soon.” 

The team has nine games remaining in their schedule. Their next match is away against Menlo today at 6:00 p.m. Next Thursday at 4:00 p.m., they will face Notre Dame High at home.

The freshman and sophomore girls volleyball team chases after the ball during a point in the second set. Their next match is away against Menlo today at 6:00 p.m. (Sally Zhu)