College Board closes SAT testing centers due to safety concerns over coronavirus

Varsha Rammohan

The College Board has closed numerous testing locations for the March 14 SAT as precautionary measures for the spread of the coronavirus.

by Anna Vazhaeparambil, Co-Sports Editor

As more information is released about College Board closing centers due to the coronavirus, this article will be updated with the latest news. Check Harker Aquila for continuous coverage.

This story was last updated March 14 to reflect new information about the number of nations, U.S. states and individual centers in the Bay Area affected by the shutdowns, as well as the amount of local cases.

Due to increasing safety concerns over the spread of COVID-19 worldwide, College Board has announced that it will be closing certain testing centers for the March 14 SAT in areas that have been exposed to the virus, and offering alternative testing options for students at these sites. 

As of today, 85 nations have been affected, with China, Italy, Japan and South Korea among the list of 30 places facing entire countrywide test center cancellations. In the United States, 47 states or territories, including California, have also been impacted, and the following six testing sites in San Jose will be closing: Bellarmine College Preparatory, Lincoln High School, Saba Academy, San Jose State University, Santa Teresa High School and Yerba Buena High School.

There are 37 more centers closing in the Bay Area as a whole: Archbishop Riordan High School in San Francisco, Berkeley High School in Berkeley, Capuchino High School in San Bruno, Carlmont High School in Belmont, Christopher High School in Gilroy, Clayton Valley High School in Concord, El Camino High School in Oceanside, Encinal High School in Alameda, Everett Alvarez High School in Salinas, Fremont High School in Sunnyvale, Hayward High School in Hayward, Henry M. Gunn High School in Palo Alto, Immaculate Conception Academy in San Francisco, James Logan High School in Union City, Jesse Bethel High School in Vallejo, Junipero Serra High School in San Mateo, Kipp King Collegiate High School in San Lorenzo and Las Lomas High School in Walnut Creek.

The list goes on to include Las Positas College in Livermore, Mare Island Tech Academy in Vallejo, Monte Vista Christian School in Watsonville, Milpitas High School in Milpitas, Newark Memorial High School in Newark, Novato High School in Novato, Oakland High School in Oakland, Oakland Military Institute in Oakland, Oakland Tech High School in Oakland, Sacred Heart-Cathedral Prep in San Francisco, San Mateo High School in San Mateo, Santa Rosa Junior College in Petaluma, St Francis High School in Mountain View, St Ignatius College Preparatory in San Francisco, Seaside High School in Seaside, Terra Linda High School in San Rafael, Vallejo High School in Vallejo, Watsonville High School in Watsonville and Ygnacio Valley High School in Watsonville.

The complete list of cancelled testing centers is posted on the College Board website. This number is subject to change, and students are asked to check their email in the upcoming week for any updates regarding the status of their location.

“I’m very nervous for my testing date to be cancelled, because I have worked so hard to prepare,” said Emma Andrews (11), who was registered to take the March SAT at Bellarmine, where a makeup is yet to be scheduled. “I understand where [College Board] is coming from, but I feel like there are other preventative measures that could take place.”

College Board has provided alternate testing sites for those affected, and makeup tests will be scheduled at locations without any other center options if possible. Students with canceled registrations will receive a full refund.

This news comes after growing efforts to slow the spread of the virus. In Santa Clara County alone, there have been 79 confirmed cases of the virus, the most in the Bay Area so far, and in response, officials have been asking the public to suspend non-essential travel and have banned gatherings of over 100 people.

Anna Vazhaeparambil, Editor-in-Chief

Anna Vazhaeparambil (12) is the co-editor-in-chief of Harker Aquila. This is her fourth year on staff, and she hopes to grow as a reporter and photographer....

Varsha Rammohan, Editor-in-Chief

Varsha Rammohan (12) is the co-editor-in-chief of Harker Aquila. This is her fourth year on staff, and she likes journalism since she can meet new people...

• Assistant Head of School for Academic Affairs Jennifer Gargano speaks about the mission of the school. Gargano also mentioned Harkers awards, where teachers select students based on three categories.

School Meeting 4/15: Academic awards, Green Team and Earthchella

• Robert Fields (11) completes a quiz in AP U.S. History. Some colleges are reinstating requirements for standardized test scores that they removed during the pandemic.

Top colleges across U.S. reinstate ACT/SAT requirement

• Team 1072s technical president Chiling Han (11) runs code on the robot at the competitions practice field. Despite multiple rounds of bug fixes, the robots autonomous routine failed to run properly.

Robotics team bounces back at Sacramento Regional

• Harker Journalism poses for a picture holding their Best of Show award. The Winged Post placed seventh in the print newspapers for schools with student populations less than 1,800 students and TALON placed tenth for high school yearbooks between 224-283 pages.

Moseyin’ through Missouri: Harker journalism staff cooks at national JEA/NSPA convention

• Journalism staff presents stories and initiatives at JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention

Journalism staff presents stories and initiatives at JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention

• Arthur Wu (11) cheers for his grade before the announcement of the spirit winners. The juniors finished the spirit events in first place with 4,475 points.

Spirit Week Day 5: Juniors sweep spring rally

• Spirit Week Day 4: Students and faculty dress as “twins,” build Lego castles

Multimedia

Spirit Week Day 4: Students and faculty dress as “twins,” build Lego castles

• Senior Saahil Kajarekar paddles the class of 2024s regatta floatie across the pool. “I think its cool because a lot of the students put all their time into the spirit stuff,” belly flop judge Kadar Arbuckle said. “I actually really like how they make it more official with the judges. I was just here today to add to that.”

Multimedia

Spirit Week Day 3: Regatta and belly flops make a splash

• Upper School Math teacher Caren Furtado hosts the Are You Smarter Than a Teacher Event at lunch on Tuesday. Participants were asked questions like “Which college has a Squirrel Club?” and “What is Lord Voldemort’s real name?”

Multimedia

Spirit Week Day 2: Students and teachers dress as “Tacky Tourists,” battle in trivia game

• Finlands Foreign Affairs Minister Pekka Haavisto, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and Swedens Foreign Affairs Minister Ann Linde speak during a press conference following the two countries signing of accession protocols to NATO. While NATO admitted Finland in nine months, Sweden was beset by obstacles that delayed its accession by another year.

Global

Global Headlines (March 2024)