WP- Upper School Robotics team finishes build season for FIRST Competition

From March 14 to 17, members of the Upper School Robotics team will travel to UC Davis to compete at the regional division of the For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology (FIRST) Robotics Competition.

After a six-week long “build season,” students finished constructing a robot capable of performing a series of tasks presented in the contest.

This year’s challenge requires robots to pick up foam basketballs and shoot them into hoops of different heights from 12 feet away. To meet these accuracy requirements, the team purchased and developed precision machining components.
“We were able to create a robot with a high level of precision that not only looks professional, but also performs quite well in just six weeks,” Christophe Pellissier (12) said.

According to team captain Jay Reddy (12), the software sub-team, in particular, proved to be integral to this year’s robot. In the past, the robot’s navigation was done entirely using manual controls, while this year’s software allows the robot to see a ball on the field and find the most efficient path to it.

Overall, many members felt that the electrical, software, and mechanical sub-teams were able to work together successfully and efficiently.

“I’m most proud of the way [that] the entire team [was] able to cohesively function as a group and continually improve upon previous designs,” first-year member Brian Tuan (10) said.

More members have been able to participate this year due to better training and a change of software from LabVIEW to Java and C++, according to Preethi Periyakoil (10).

However, the team also faced several obstacles in the building process. Strict weight requirements, time constraints, and a shortage of materials challenged the team to prioritize its activities.

“We have to choose […] which [tasks] are the highest priority, and deciding to do one part of the game but not another is probably one of the hardest choices that we have to make,” Jay said.

Nonetheless, the team is very optimistic about its performance this year.

“The electrical, programming, and mechanical [components] all came together, [and] we got a lot of time for practice and debugging that we didn’t in previous years,” Jay said. “This is definitely the best robot we’ve had since 2005 [when] we made it to nationals.”

The championship event will be held from April 25-28 in St. Louis, Missouri.