Hurricane Florence floods Carolinas

Hurricane Florence floods Carolinas

Hurricane Florence is seen from the International Space Station on Sept. 12, when it was classified as a Category 3 hurricane. The hurricane has led to at least 48 deaths in North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida and Virginia, many due to the widespread storms and flooding it caused.

From NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

From NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

From NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

by Eric Fang and Ryan Guan

Hurricane Florence lashed North and South Carolina with widespread rains and flooding this month, leading to at least 48 deaths and billions of dollars worth of damage, after making landfall Sept. 14.

Governors in several states, including the Carolinas and Virginia, declared states of emergency and ordered residents nearest the coast to evacuate prior to the hurricane’s arrival.

Hurricane Florence, which reached the Category 4 classification but had been downgraded to Category 1 by the time it hit, also caused hundreds of thousands of residents to lose power and flooded major highways. Flooding led to river water levels surpassing records set by Hurricane Matthew, which hit South Carolina as a Category 1 hurricane in 2016.

“I know there were some regions like Wilmington on the coast which were severely impacted, and there were a lot of people that had to cope with really difficult situations. I’m just glad that that wasn’t as large of a scale here in Durham,” Vivek Sriram (’15), an undergraduate student at Duke University in North Carolina, said. “There was a lot of anxiety about it at the start of the week, so classes on Thursday and Friday were cancelled ahead of time. A lot of people stocked up on food, but when the storm ending up coming, it was a lot less severe than expected [for Duke].”

Flooding or threat of flooding persists in some Carolina areas even now, two weeks after the hurricane made landfall.

To help people affected by Hurricane Florence, many charities have established relief efforts, to which people can make donations of money or needed goods.