Boys JV volleyball loses to Cupertino High School

Sophomore David Feng dives for a ball during the game against Cupertino High School. The team has eight games left in their season.

by Kathy Fang, Photo Editor

Boys junior varsity volleyball lost a close game against Cupertino High School at 5:30 yesterday in the athletics center, with a score of 25-12 in the first set and 25-20 in the second.

Their record is now 0-9 as they move through their season, and with each game, the boys have learned new lessons to improve their playing skills.

“From this game, I think what we learned most was the mentality. It’s not that we’re not physically fit; it’s that sometimes our heads get in our way,” David Feng (10) said. “We can’t have this mindset of just staying on the last play, looking at the mistakes we made—we have to get past that, reflect on those mistakes later, and we want to [focus on] the next play specifically.”

While the Eagles trailed behind during the first set, they gained a lead for the first half of the second set before the Cupertino players overtook them towards the end of the set.

“As a team, I think we can work a lot better on starting off with a bang instead of taking some time to progress forward,” David said. “It’s important that we start off with a lot of effort, start off strong, and start off winning the game.”

Yesterday’s game marked the halfway point of the team’s season, with eight games left. The boys will play Cupertino High School again in their next game at Cupertino on April 12.