Spanish National Honor Society hosts Spanish Cultural Night

Spanish National Honor Society members serve paella to Spanish Cultural Night attendees. The event was hosted in the auxiliary gym from 6 to 8 p.m. today.

Arushi Saxena

Arushi Saxena

by Arushi Saxena, Reporter

The upper school’s annual Spanish Cultural Night took place in the auxiliary gym from 6 to 8 p.m. today.

Hosted by the Spanish National Honor Society, the event was coordinated by a committee of students, led by Spanish teacher Abel Olivas, the head of the organization. To begin the evening, Spanish teacher Diana Moss worked with the other Spanish teachers to cook paella as well as other traditional dishes. The food was followed by a talent show, and the event commenced with a salsa dancing competition.

As Spanish music blared from the speakers stationed throughout the auxiliary gym, students tapped their feet while savoring delicious paella, chicken wings, guacamole and fried rice. With the walls decorated with posters of cultural regions and silhouettes of Spanish patterns and designs, the space was transformed into the perfect setting for a fun night of Spanish food and games.

“This event is intended to encourage the participation of others in celebrating Spanish culture not only for the people in Spanish National Honor Society but also Spanish speaking-students in general, and it’s another way to get people interested in Spanish culture,” SNHS president David Wen (12) said. “I’m just hoping that as many people come as possible because the more people there are, the more exciting the events are, like salsa dancing, that’s ‘more the merrier,’ and generally, it’s a good experience for everyone.”

Among the talent show performers were singers Meilin Yen (9), Sumati Wadhwa (12) and Millie Lin (12) as well as dancers Eric Jeong (12) and Anthony Contreras (12). Mathematics teacher Jeanette Fernandez, who choreographed a routine for her and Jacob Fernandez (7), was one of the faculty performers in the show. Olivas also joined in for a special performance with a few musicians from Jazz Band, and Olivas’s second period AP Spanish Language class also performed a skit.

Previous SNHS events included their club week from Jan. 29 to Feb. 2, when club members raised money to donate to San Jose non-profit Sunday Friends by selling tres leches cake, churros and Mexican hot chocolate outside Manzanita.

Jacob Fernandez (7), Sofia Fernandez (9) and Emma-Leigh Stoll (9) enjoy some of the Spanish dishes and beverages served at Spanish Cultural Night. One of the main foods offered was paella, a mix of rice, beans and meat.