School meeting recap 3/6

Kathy Fang

Winged Post Co-Editors-in-Chief Kaitlin Hsu (12) and Sahana Srinivasan (12) and Harker Aquila Editor-in-Chief Meena Gudapati (12) announce the release of Issue 5 of the Winged Post and a Harker Aquila package about the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting. Harker Journalism conducted interviews with MSD students Emma Gonzalez and David Hogg as well as MSD journalism teacher Melissa Falkowski for coverage of the shooting.

by Anvi Banga, Aquila Asst. News Editor

Physics teachers Dr. Mark Brada and Dr. Miriam Allersma announced that the Harker team earned second place at the United States Invitational Young Physicists Tournament in Virginia in January.

Students Partner With Veterans Club held a viewing of “Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1” in Nichols Auditorium during long lunch today. Screening attendees received one community service hour.

Sameep Mangat (12) talked to students and faculty about the harms of being “casually suicidal.” She also announced that she and her brother will be speaking more on this topic at an upcoming LIFE meeting.

This week is FEM Club’s club week and they will be selling boba outside Manzanita for the rest of the week. All profits will be used to support Harker’s sister schools in various countries. They also reminded students to wear red for International Women’s Day on Thursday.

Science department chair Anita Chetty spoke about the Student Internship Program (SIP) applications opening this Friday and detailed the special guidelines set for Harker applicants. More information about the program was sent in an email to students.

Representatives of Harker Dev announced a new online student account payment system. Parents will soon be emailed with more information and with instructions on how to put caps on their child’s spending.

The upper school orchestra is having a joint concert with the Santa Monica Youth Orchestra on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the Patil Theater.

Harker Athletics gave a short update about games this past week and encouraged students and faculty to support the teams at upcoming games this week.

Harker Spirit is hosting a movie night next Friday in Manzanita and will send out a survey for students to vote on the movie.

Journalism representatives announced the release of Issue 5 of the Winged Post and a Harker Aquila package about the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting.

Esha Deokar (11) and Kelsey Wu (11) announced a fundraiser to support victims of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting. They will be selling food on March 8,14 and 16 during advisory reviews at the snack bar and on March 20 and 21 before school in front of Manzanita.

Details of the vigil and walkout on March 14 will be announced at the school meeting on Monday.