Students speak against CPP repeal at EPA hearing

Anvi Banga

Satchi Thockchom (12) speaks at the EPA hearing about the CPP repeal at San Francisco on Wednesday. The CPP targets the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions from coal-burning at electricity power plants.

by Helen Yang, Aquila STEM Editor

Seven Harker upper school students spoke at the the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) listening session on the proposed repeal of the Clean Power Plan (CPP) this Wednesday at San Francisco.

Freshman Akshay Manglik; sophomores Jai Bahri, Anvi Banga, Avi Gulati, Alex Shing and Anthony Shing and senior Satchi Thockchom presented their statements at the San Francisco listening. The public hearing centered around the the proposal to repeal the CPP, which aims to lower greenhouse gas emissions, especially those produced in coal-burning electrical power plants.

Following the President’s Energy Independence Executive Order, the EPA proposed on Oct. 16 last year to repeal the CPP. EPA administrator Scott Pruitt officially signed a notice to review the plan on Mar. 28.

The speakers from Harker, like many other citizens, do not support the repeal of the CPP, believing that it offers measures crucial to the protection of the environment and the expansion of clean energy in the future.

“If Hurricane Harvey and the California wildfires were wakeup calls to our nation that our fragile environment needs fixing now, then the phone is still ringing. And a crucial policy that can answer that call is the Clean Power Plan,” said Avi.

However, according to the EPA, the CPP created under President Obama’s administration includes regulations that exceed EPA authority, and that it contains points that clash with the Clean Air Act. In addition, its repeal would also save up to $33 billion in costs in 2030.

The EPA is holding listening sessions in Kansas City, Missouri and Gillette, Wyoming, and has extended the public commenting period through April 26. Anyone interested can submit a comment identifiable by the Docket ID “EPA-HQ-OAR-2017-0355” via the website, email or fax (202-566-9744).