Students take annual AMC 10 and 12 exams

Neil Bai

Last year’s AMC 10 and 12 exams were held at 8 a.m. in Nichols Atrium on Feb. 20. According to Dr. Aiyer, around 120 students will be taking one of the exams this year, which will both be held next Thursday.

by Neil Bai, Aquila Copy Editor

Upper school students participated in the Mathematical Association of America’s American Mathematics Competition (AMC) 10 and 12 math contests today morning at 7:45 a.m. in Nichols Atrium.

Every year, over 6,000 schools and 350,000 students in the U.S. take part in the AMC competitions. At the upper school, 130 students participated, a 20-person increase from the previous year. Because the first class of the day was pushed back to start at 9:35 a.m., students could take the 75-minute exam without missing classes. Following the exam, an office hours session was held from 9 to 9:25 a.m. There were no prerequisites for either exam, but juniors and seniors could only take the AMC 12 according to the association’s age and grade requirements.

“I only prepared for it a week in advance and I feel like I could have prepared more, but when it came to taking the test, I should have probably focused more on the time,” Nicholas Yi (9) said. “I think that I did okay but just could have prepared more.”

The AMC 10 and 12 contests are designed with students of varying math levels in mind. Students who score well will be invited to take the American Invitational Math Exam (AIME). Those who score well on the AIME can qualify for the USA Math Olympiad (USAMO). The top scorers of the USAMO qualify for the most prestigious AMC competition, the International Math Olympiad (IMO), which will be held in Romania in July.

“The AMC is a good math contest because it’s a stepping stone to qualify for the math olympiad so once you do well on this one, there’s a progression,” Math Club adviser Dr. Anuradha Aiyer said. “There are easier problems in the beginning and they get progressively harder, so that’s good as a test.”  

Swapnil Garg (12), who has participated in various math competitions since middle school, finds the AMC essential for anyone looking to participate in math contests and expand their knowledge of math past the school curriculum.  

“Everyone takes the AMCs, so you get to see where you stand in math contests on a national scale,” he said. “The AMC is pretty important, because it qualifies you for the AIME, and for example, MIT asks for AMC scores on its application. It’s a way to distinguish yourself mathematically.”

Those who qualify for the AIME will take the exam on March 6 in the hopes of qualifying for the USAMO, which will take place on April 18 and 19. Both exams will be administered at school.