Varsity girls soccer plays Castilleja in Kicks Against Cancer game

Defensive back Aria Wong (9) tracks the ball, defending the goal. Both boys and girls soccer teams wore special shirts for the occasion with their names and numbers on the backs and “Kicks Against Cancer” on the fronts.

Zach Hoffman

Zach Hoffman

Zach Hoffman

by Zach Hoffman, Reporter

Girls varsity soccer lost 0-2 during their annual Kicks Against Cancer game against Castilleja High School on Friday, Jan. 21.

Despite some injuries, the girls managed to hold number two seed Castilleja to a goal in the first and second halves.

“A lot of us were really focussed on the game as soon as it started. There were lots of injuries, so we got a little distracted,” player Emma Boyce (9) said. “Obviously, it was a really emotional night with Kicks [Against Cancer] and everything, but we tried to stay as focused as we could on the field.”

Players made a point despite the festivities to keep a level head and work through injuries to keep Castilleja to a couple points.

“I think that, although we lost we put up a really good fight, and we played really hard, and we played well as a team,” varsity captain Krishna Bheda (12) said. “We had a few go down injured, but I think that the team really banded together and, hopefully from this game, we’re going to grow, ready for the next one.”

Krishna also led planning for the nights event.

“Kicks Against Cancer means a lot to varsity soccer teams and JV soccer teams because it’s our big event of the year, and we’re fundraising for a really important cause,” Krishna said. “We’ve been doing it for years since Mr. Thiele started it in 2009. It’s a very important day.”

Krishna notes that her co-captains Julia Amick (11) and Stephanie Scaglia (12) and her worked with Mr. Molin and much of the Harker community in organizing the night.

“I was really touched that the whole Harker community kind of came in to help,” Krishna said. “Spirit came in, [student council] came in, a lot of teachers came to help.”

Krishna adds that choirs in the vocal performance also held that day were understanding and supportive of the event as well.

Friends of those on the field watched in support and joined in the festivities.

“I like the stuff at halftime,” Taylor Vaughn (11), who attended the game, said. “I thought the little girls were really cute, and I’m glad they were there to receive it because we got to see who the money [that was raised] was going to. The Butts Up was funny and entertaining, and I thought all the players played well. There were a lot of people there and it was fun.”

Fans, students and teachers all had opportunities to join in on activities and raise money for families attending Camp Okizu. Events like Butts Up – where faculty volunteer to stand in front of the goal and students pay to kick balls at them – and bake sale tables filled with donated baked goods always draw a large crowd.

“Regardless of all the selling, the bakesale, the raffles that are going on,” Krishna adds, we have to remember to stay focussed because especially this year, it was a really important game. I think that our team did stay focused, and even though we lost, we played well as a unit.”

At the half, students and soccer players presented families who will be attending Camp Okizu.

“I think as a team we all played really well together and we all communicated really well,” Emma said. “I mean we played a tough opponent, but even with that, we still played really well.”

Girls varsity soccer is now 3-1-0 in league and 5-6-0 overall, going on the road to play number one seed Mercy on Tuesday Jan. 23.