School meeting recap 1/4

Head of School Brian Yager informs students and faculty of the assault that occurred at the middle school campus on Tuesday morning. He assured the students that the priority of the school is safety and announced that there will be increased security on campus.

Kathy Fang

Kathy Fang

by Anvi Banga, Aquila Asst. News Editor

Academic Dean Evan Barth spoke about course selection for next year. The course selection information night for parents will be held at the middle school MPR at 6:30 p.m. on Jan. 18. Course selection forms are due on Jan. 23 and can be turned in at the Main front desk, the Dobbins front desk or directly to Director of Standardized Testing and Scheduling Troy Thiele.

Upper School Head Butch Keller introduced new academic counselor Sandhya Gupta.

Harker Athletics gave a short update about games this past week and encouraged students and faculty to support the teams at upcoming games this week.

There was a track and field information session in front of the athletics center at the beginning of lunch today. Preseason training will begin next Monday.

This year’s Student Directed Showcase (SDS) shows will take place tomorrow and on Saturday at 7 p.m. in the Blackford theater. The directors played a preview video of each of the four shows at today’s school meeting.

Kelsey Wu (11) will be speaking at Research Club’s next informational speaker series on Jan. 10. during long lunch at 12:50 p.m.

The annual Winter Ball will take place on Jan. 20. This year there will be an ask contest, and more details are available at tiny.cc/askcontest. Tickets are available at tiny.cc/winterball.

This year’s HOSCARS performances will be held on March 23 in the new Rothschild Performing Arts Center. Signups for auditions are available at tiny.cc/hoscars2018 until Jan. 29.

Next week is Harker Horizon’s club week, and they will be selling brownies, popcorn chicken and Krispy Kreme donuts. The money they earn will go into printing their upcoming issue.

The Shakespeare competition’s information session was held at the beginning of long lunch in English teacher Charles Shuttleworth’s room today. The competition will take place on Feb. 8.

Harker Eclectic Literature and Media’s (HELM) digital issue has been published, and they are now accepting entries for their upcoming print issue until Jan. 26.

Medanta Associate Director of Peripheral Vascular and Endovascular Sciences Dr. Tarun Grover spoke at Medical Club’s speaker event today from 12:40 to 1:20 p.m. in biology teacher Dr. Matthew Harley’s room.

Today is the last day to sign up for the AMC 10 and 12 math competitions. Signups are available at tiny.cc/amcsignups, and flyers in Dobbins have more information.

Head of School Brian Yager gave an update about the assault that happened at the middle school campus on Tuesday morning. He assured the students that the priority of the school is safety and announced that there will be increased security on campus, including 24-hour security at the middle school. Students who arrive early to campus are requested to stay with at least one other student and in sight of adults. He urged students to tell a teacher if they see an adult they do not know on campus and is not wearing a visitor’s badge. Police arrested a male suspect in the case on Thursday night, and he is being held at the Santa Clara County Jail. Police have charged him with multiple criminal counts. Cards and other expressions of care and concern may be left at the front office in the upper school and will be delivered to the teacher by staff. Yager also reminded students that our counselors are available to talk with any students.

Academic Dean Evan Barth speaks about course selection for the next school year. He encouraged students to talk over their academic plans with their current teachers and directed them to the course list resources on the student portal.