School meeting recap 12/4

Mathematics department chair Anthony Silk announces signups for the AMC 10, 12 and the annual Tests of Engineering, Aptitude, Mathematics and Science (TEAMS) competition. Students can view the flyers posted around Dobbins for more information about these events.

Kathy Fang

Kathy Fang

by Anvi Banga, Aquila Asst. News Editor

Computer science department chair Dr. Eric Nelson announced the AP CS A screening exam on Jan. 4. This exam is for students who have not taken either Programming or Advanced Programming at Harker and wish to take AP CS A next fall. To register for the exam, send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “AP CS A screening exam.”

Mathematics department chair Anthony Silk announced that signups for the AMC 10, AMC 12 and the annual Tests of Engineering, Aptitude, Mathematics and Science (TEAMS) competition are open until Jan. 5. Fliers are posted around Dobbins with more information about these events.

To make a purchase using one’s student account, students will be required to record their Student ID number on purchase sheets or display their Student ID to product vendors.

There was a Girls’ Wellness meeting in the CyberLoft during long lunch today at 12:45 p.m about equality in relationships.

On Wednesday, Jazz Band will be playing Christmas music in the Quad at the beginning of long lunch.

Humanitarian services have their club week this week and today, Red Cross Club organized a blood drive. During long lunch and after school throughout this week, Red Cross Club and Harker UNICEF will be selling bubble tea, cookies and brownies to support the Fisher House Foundation which provides housing for military families.

The annual gingerbread decorating competition was today during long lunch. The seniors and juniors tied for first place, the sophomores took second place and the freshman came in third place. The 2018 Spirit Ski Trip will be taking place on Jan. 13. Assistant to Directors Eric Kallbrier emailed students with more information.

A feature video made by Kathy Fang (10), Photo Editor for Harker Aquila, about theater teacher Jeffrey Draper was played for the school.

Harker Athletics gave a short update about games this past week and encouraged students and faculty to support the teams at upcoming games this week.

Posters with QR codes are now placed in front of water fountains and vending machines. To submit a maintenance form reporting a malfunction, scan the code to autofill the email address for the message.

Cubbies on the second floor of Dobbins which will remain stocked with stress-relieving items like bubble wrap and paper to doodle on. Therapy dogs will be visiting the upper school this week, and a joke box will be stationed outside Manzanita during lunch.

Honor Council played a finals advice video featuring a group of seniors and librarian Lauri Vaughan.

Assistant Head of School Greg Lawson reviewed evacuation procedures from the gym, which was then followed by an emergency evacuation drill.

Computer science department chair Dr. Eric Nelson announces the AP CS A screening exam on Jan. 4. This exam is for students who have not taken either Programming or Advanced Programming at Harker and wish to take AP CS A next fall.