Siemens semifinalists announced today

by Helen Yang, Aquila Asst. STEM Editor

Ten upper school students were named semifinalists for the Siemens Competition today. The Siemens Foundation posted the list of 491 semifinalists online this morning.

Seniors Amy Dunphy, Swapnil Garg and Amy Jin; juniors Erin Liu, Ashwin Rammohan, Katherine Tian, Laura Wu and Katherine Zhang; and sophomores Cynthia Chen and Jin Tuan are semifinalists for the 2017 Siemens Competition.

“To see that I’m being recognized for work that I truly believe is valuable and can contribute to a lot of different scientific fields feels very gratifying,” Katherine Zhang (11) said. “I’m very grateful for my mentors and heads of the research labs that I worked at, and my partner [Cynthia Chen (10)] for supporting me throughout this entire journey.”

The Siemens Competition is a science research competition that gives students the opportunity to conduct independent research and report their findings. Each year, students perform research at labs alongside mentors and conduct research projects either individually or with partners. This year, students submitted their research papers for judging to the Siemens Foundation on Sept. 25.

The Siemens Foundation will announce the regional finalists tomorrow, who will go on to compete in the regional level of the competition on Oct. 30.