Freshman and sophomore and JV girls volleyball teams play Sacred Heart Preparatory

Co-captain+Hannah+Sobczyn+%289%29+serves+the+ball+to+Sacred+Heart+Prep.+During+the+match%2C+the+team+only+missed+one+serve.+

Cameron Zell

Co-captain Hannah Sobczyn (9) serves the ball to Sacred Heart Prep. During the match, the team only missed one serve.

by Emily Chen and Anthony Xu

The freshman and sophomore volleyball team beat Sacred Heart Preparatory last night at the upper school athletics center. Winning the game in only two sets, the team finished with scores of 25-14 and 25-12, respectively.    

“I think the game went pretty well. We did a lot better than the first time we played Sacred Heart,” libero Rashmi Iyer (10) said after the match.

The team started off strong with 11-4, but Sacred Heart made a comeback, bringing the score to 12-10. When Harker was leading 15-10, Sacred Heart called the first timeout. The second timeout, also from Sacred Heart, was called when Harker was in the lead 21-12.

“We all kept our energy level and encouraged each other, and we only missed one serve in the whole match,” co-captain Hannah Sobczyn (9) said.

Harker stayed in the lead for the rest of the set, and after a serve from Sacred Heart, Harker successfully scored the winning point with a kill.

Cameron Zell
Caroline Yager (10) high-fives teammate Rashmi Iyer (10). The freshman and sophomore team beat Sacred Heart Prep in two sets.

Harker scored the first point during the second set, beginning with a score of 1-0. Hannah served three consecutive times, increasing Harker’s score to 7-3. When Harker was taking the lead 11-4, Sacred Heart called their third timeout. During the middle of the game, an long rally emerged, which the Gators eventually won, even though the Eagles still had a lead of 14-6. Sacred Heart once again made a comeback, closing the gap from 17-6 to 22-12. Elaine Zhai’s (9) serve aced the other team, scoring the winning point.

“We need to call the ball more. I think talk more on the court, and know where [we] are on the court because we’re kind of unaware of that some of the times,” co-captain Meona Khetrapal (9) said, as she believes that the team has room to improve in future games.

The JV girls volleyball team also played Sacred Heart Prep after the freshman and sophomore team and lost against Sacred Heart Preparatory in two sets.

In the first set, Sacred Heart gained an early lead, but towards the end of the set, Harker began to build momentum with crucial blocks from middle blockers Lauren Beede (10) and Dylan Williams (9). However, the Gators took the first set 25-22.

The girls started off strong in the second set, with four consecutive kills and an ace from Cynthia Chen (10) to put the Eagles up 9-4. Then, Sacred Heart came back, beginning a close back-and-forth battle between the two teams. In the end, Sacred Heart won the second set 25-19.

“I think overall it went pretty well, and we learned a lot from this game,” Cynthia said. “But towards the end, we started falling apart due to a lack of communication, but overall it was a fun game.”

The freshman sophomore girls volleyball team’s overall record is now 10-2. The JV girls team os now 10-7 overall and 4-4 in league. The teams play Notre Dame away on Friday October 13th. Freshman and sophomore plays at 3:45, and JV plays at 5:15.