WP Irvine brings baby chameleons to school

Chemistry teacher Andrew Irvine’s chameleon hatched a group of 74 baby veiled chameleons, native to Yemen, and he is now caring for the 66 he still has.

A self-dubbed avid critter lover, Irvine has raised other small animals and lizards before he decided to hatch the large group of chameleon eggs.

Irvine bought the mother of his baby chameleons here in the Bay Area about three years ago and raised her until maturity. Once she had matured, he bought the father, another veiled chameleon, from a chameleon raiser in San Diego.

“The father displayed very unique traits, [such as] this spot on his head where there is no pigment. A completely albino chameleon is extremely rare and can be very expensive,” Irvine said.

Irvine was extremely excited to breed his chameleon with another that had such rare characteristics, and he was even more pleased that many of his baby chameleons displayed the same characteristics as their father.

Although he thinks the baby chameleons are very interesting creatures and fun to raise, they also require an abundance of time and work to look after. The chameleons have strange eating and drinking habits; they eat only crickets and drink water off the surface of plants.

They are a step up [for me] because they are very hard to raise and take care of,” Irvine said. “It’s a good thing I quickly found out they didn’t drink out of a bowl!”

The chameleons must also be kept under certain temperatures and light levels so they do not become sedentary and die.

From the original group of 74 eggs, two died, two have been given away to the science department, and four have escaped through a hole in the mesh of Irvine’s container into Irvine’s house, yet he still does not know where they are. He is hoping to keep three or four until they mature, and he plans to sell the rest or give them away to his friends.

Irvine hopes to buy panther chameleons in the future, but because of their extremely fickle behavior9602, he decided he is not ready to raise them quite yet.

“Panther chameleons display the most vivid colors and are the coolest [of the chameleons] but will stop eating and starve themselves if they are not under the perfect [conditions],” Irvine said.

Irvine’s chameleons are currently being kept in a small habitat in his room and are occasionally being shown off to his chemistry classes.