Harker sets new school record after beating Tamalpais High School

Aaron+Smith+%2811%29+pushes+past+a+Tamalpais+player.+The+team+beat+a+school+record+after+winning+last+night%27s+game.+
Aaron Smith (11) pushes past a Tamalpais player. The team beat a school record after winning last night's game.

Eric Fang

Eric Fang

by Eric Fang and Arya Tandon

Varsity football set a new school record of seven wins and zero losses after beating Tamalpais High School 38-0 at home last night. This team is undefeated so far this season and yesterday marked their seventh consecutive win, an accomplishment unprecedented in Harker history.

The game began to a slow start, with neither team managing to score on the other. Two timeouts were called by Harker in this time. Towards the end of the first quarter, however, Harker quarterback Nate Kelly (12) threw a touchdown pass to wide receiver Jared Anderson (11), with a valid extra point kicked by team kicker Dominic Cea (12).

Things continued in Harker’s favor as Dominic kicked an impressive 34-yard field goal during the Eagle’s fourth down in the second quarter. After a Tamalpais timeout, Harker wide receiver Floyd Gordon (12) scored a touchdown, with another extra point by Dominic. The second quarter ended with the score 17-0, the Eagles still leading.

During halftime, the Tamalpais and Harker cheer squads performed routines for the audience. After, members of the junior varsity and varsity water polo teams, along with their coaches, displayed a CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) academic champions banner at the center of the field, an award they received for having the highest collective GPA in their league. They then listed some of the varsity water polo team’s recent accomplishments in their current season.

Eric Fang
Olivia Long (12) dances with the rest of the cheer team at halftime. For the duration of the game, the team cheered on the football players from the bleachers.

The Eagles performed extremely well in the third quarter, with a total of three touchdowns in the period. The first was once again scored by Floyd, with the other two by wide receiver Anthony Contreras (12). This series of touchdowns raised the score to 38-0 by the end of the third quarter.

During the last quarter of the game, the Eagles rotated in many players who usually do not get the opportunity to play in varsity matches.

Henry Cunningham (10) believes the team performed exceptionally well last night and was happy to have played in a varsity match.

“I think the game went really well tonight,” he said. “Me and a few others got to play for the first time in a varsity match, and I think that’s a really valuable experience.”

Rohan Varma (9) also noted that many freshmen and sophomores had the opportunity to play.

“What’s really interesting is that this game, the coaches let some of the freshmen and sophomores play,” Rohan said. “Henry, Griffin Crook (10), Vance Vu (10), Sid Dudyala (10) and Jack White (9) played this game.”

The game ended 38-0, with Harker continuing its winning streak of 7-0.

Harker slot receiver and outside linebacker Angel Cervantes (12) thinks the team can potentially do far better and set even greater records.

“The season has been going really really well. We’re seven and zero, which is a school record, so that always feels good,” Angel said. “We’re always hungry for more though, and we want to do the best and potentially be the best Harker football team ever.”

The Eagles’ next game is home against Stellar Prep next Friday at 7 p.m.

Quarterback Nate Kelly (12) throws the ball to a teammate. Nate has been on the team for all four years of high school.