ASB aims to revitalize initiatives in 2018

Rose Guan

Student council stand during their introductions at Matriculation. “There are a lot of student council projects that we would love to bring back for the upcoming school year, specifically events such as Hoscars and Valentine’s Grams,” ASB President Jimmy Lin (12) said.

by Rose Guan, Wingspan Designer and Senior Writer

ASB aims to bring back events like the Hoscars talent show, which could not be held last year due to insufficient performance space in the auxiliary gym.

“There are a lot of student council projects that we would love to bring back for the upcoming year, specifically events such as Hoscars and Valentine’s Grams that have traditionally been really popular in the years that we’ve done it in the past,” ASB President Jimmy Lin (12) said. “A lot of our efforts will be toward tailoring these events to the new gym and theater that we’ll have next year.”

Jimmy will work with his fellow ASB members—vice president Neil Ramaswamy (11), secretary Katherine Zhang (11) and treasurer Megan Huynh (12)—to implement their ideas and oversee ASB’s and the class councils’ projects.

“Jimmy’s job on the council is kind of to oversee all the projects that we’re working on,” Katherine said. “I’ll be working really closely with him in terms of student council, organizing the meetings, and also with making sure the meetings go smoothly. We’ve both had experience with Valentine’s Grams and Hoscars, and thinking about bringing one or both back is definitely on the forefront of our minds.”

Students are invited to attend student council meetings, which are held in Main 4 on Mondays after school from 3:25 to 4:20 p.m.

“I’d like to see more work being done in encouraging students to attend our meetings [and] to bring about their own initiatives and proposals,” Jimmy said. “We genuinely value their ideas and their proposals, and we’d definitely encourage them not to view the council as some sort of secret society working behind their backs but rather a group of people that genuinely works on their behalf.”

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on September 6, 2017.