School meeting recap 9/5

Students listen as Assistant Head of School Greg Lawson discusses campus drop-off points during today’s school meeting. Lawson also reminded students and faculty of an upcoming emergency drill and reviewed proper evacuation protocol.

by Anvi Banga, Winged Post Copy Editor

Assistant Head of School Greg Lawson reminded students and faculty about the upcoming school emergency drill and reviewed proper evacuation protocol. He also discussed recommended student drop-off points and showed a video demonstrating how students should be good pedestrians by making eye contact with drivers when crossing in front of a car.

Green Team showed a video featuring various tips to help the environment. Club co-presidents Anika Banga (12) and Satchi Thockchom (12) invited students to look out for the Green Team booth during next Wednesday’s Club Fair and encouraged students to run in or attend the Rock & Roll 5K with Green Team members to raise money for the World Wildlife Fund.

Kaitlin Hsu (12), Tanvi Singh (12) and Rose Guan (11), representatives of the National Honor Society, reminded students that applications are due at 9 a.m. this Friday. Upper School Head Butch Keller spoke about Harker’s process of switching from the previous cum laude system to the current opportunities provided to students by National Honor Society. Keller emphasized the importance of learning over grades and reminded students that they are worth more than their GPA.

President of Robotics club Aria Coalson (12) announced that Robotics meetings have started and are on Thursdays from 3:45 to 5:00 p.m. in Nichols 312.

Students part of the Conservatory program spoke about upcoming workshops and auditions. Interested vocalists can participate a vocal music workshop, coached by Dr. Emily Sinclair, next Monday from 12:20 to 1:00 p.m in Nichols Auditorium. Today marked the start of the upper school’s after school dance classes, and dance production auditions will be held at Blackford next Saturday. Auditions for this year’s Spring Musical, “42nd Street,” will be held the week of Sept. 18th. More information about upcoming performing arts events can be found on the Conservatory’s Schoology page, which students and faculty can join by clicking the “Join” option under the “Groups” tab on Schoology and typing in the code KH47J-V3WJX.

Representatives of Spirit Club announced that the Class of 2020 won the dodgeball game at the spirit kickoff last Friday. They also announced Mishu Nitulescu (12), Chris Leafstrand (11), Joel Morel (10) and Reina Joseph (9) as the winners of the spirit kickoff raffle for a Starbucks gift card.

Harker Aquila editor-in-chief Meena Gudapati (12) and Winged Post and Wingspan editor-in-chief Kaitlin Hsu (12) played a video produced by Ashley Jiang (12) and Nerine Uyanik (10) showcasing a behind-the-scenes look into Harker’s kitchen. The first issue of the Winged Post will be coming out tomorrow.