Harker FPSers compete at annual FPS International Conference

Anvi Banga

FPS International Conference attendee Anika Banga (11) poses with some FPS merchandise from the International Conference student store. Anika and Saloni Shah (8) were the two students representing Harker at this year’s International Conference in Wisconsin.

by Tiffany Wong, Aquila News Editor

Two students from Harker’s Future Problem Solvers (FPS) program competed at the annual FPS International Conference, held this year at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse in La Crosse, Wisconsin, last weekend.

This year’s International Conference invited over 2,000 students from 10 countries for five days of discussion and competition to address this year’s International Conference topic of biosecurity. Participants were seeded into categories based on their grade level, with students sixth grade and below competing in the junior division, seventh through ninth graders in the middle division and 10th through 12th graders in the senior division.

Anika Banga (11), who placed third in the senior division of the individuals category at this year’s FPS State Bowl, placed first in the senior division of the Multi-Affiliate Global Issues Competition (MAGIC) with her packet, which she completed as a member of a team of four students from four different schools.

“I researched the topic by reading articles and exploring online. We had just covered ecology in [biology], so I also used a lot of the information I learned there,” she said. “This was my first time at the [International Conference], because the State Bowl [had] always overlapped with the musical. I really didn’t expect to place because it was my first time at Internationals, but after we finished the packet, I felt that it couldn’t have gone better. My teammates were great and everything went smoothly.”

Also representing Harker at the International Conference was Saloni Shah (8), who placed first in the middle division of the scenario writing category at this year’s FPS State Bowl. At the International Conference, Saloni advanced to the final round in the middle division of the scenario writing category with her first place FPS State Bowl piece.

“As a first time FPS Internationals attendee, the experience was completely mind-blowing,” she said. “Internationals opened my mind to a world of FPS that I could not have imagined, and I hope to relive this experience once more.”

The FPS International Conference in Wisconsin marks the end of the 2016-2017 competition season. Prior to the International Conference, the club held their annual farewell banquet and dinner on May 19 at the Upper School.