Upper school librarian wins 2017 Margaret A. Edwards Award for Best Literature Program for Teens

Kavya Ramakrishnan

Lauri Vaughan, upper school campus librarian, was awarded the 2017 Margaret A. Edwards (MAE) Award for Best Literature Program for Teens by the The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA). Vaughan’s program, ReCreate Reading, is a program that promotes reading to all levels of the school, involving students, faculty, administration, staff, and coaches alike.

by Michael Sikand, Social Media Editor

Lauri Vaughan, upper school campus librarian, was awarded the 2017 Margaret A. Edwards (MAE) Award for Best Literature Program for Teens by the The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), part of the American Library Association (ALA), in a press release on Tuesday.

The winner of the MAE Award receives a personal sum of $500 and an additional $500 grant provided by the Margaret A. Edwards Trust to the recipient’s library.

Vaughan’s program, ReCreate Reading, is a program that promotes reading to students by involving all levels of the school, including faculty, administration, and staff members. Students participate by selecting a book that is sponsored by a certain staff member before the end of the academic year. When the students return in the fall, they discuss the book they read over the summer and partake in a literary discussion headed by the advisor of the selected book.

“A program like ReCreate Reading could not happen without annual full-on participation from our faculty and staff. The commitment by the adults in our community sends a powerful, genuinely enthusiastic message about the infectious thrill of reading,” Vaughan told ALA after being informed of her win. “On behalf of Harker’s voracious readers, I am honored to accept this award.”

YALSA has worked for over 50 years in strengthening libraries for the empowerment of teenagers around the country, to learn more visit www.ala.org/yalsa.