Career Connect hosts lunch and learn event

Natasha Maniar

Students listen to acclaimed artist and journalist, Jason Hanasik. Harker Career Connect hosted an interactive lunch and learn event on Nov. 7.

by Natasha Maniar, Reporter

Career Connect, one of Harker’s clubs in the BE department, hosted an interactive lunch and learn event with Jason Hanasik, an acclaimed artist and journalist on Monday Nov. 7. Twenty attendees including sophomores and freshmen gathered around the Innovation Center tables to listen to Hanasik’s background, advice, and current career from 12:35 to 1:25.

Beginning with a brief introduction, each student shared their plausible career interests, grade, and name. Once more students convened for the discussion, Hanasik began to describe his life journey followed by a twenty minute  Q & A session.

“He made it clear that its okay to go back and restart, they mentioned he was working in art because normally career connect is about business and I felt it was a little unusual so I was curious ” Emmy Huchley (10) said.

Specializing in visual art and immersive media, Hanasik’s work primarily focuses on trauma, reintegration, addiction, the military experience, as well as human rights. Featured in the Smithsonian national art gallery and LA times, Hanasik’s art career has been steadily escalating. First starting out as a marketer in Gap, Jason shot a marketing campaign video which received tremendous popularity.

He later explained how sometimes “you need to get out of your head and in your belly” as his new approach to digital campaigns promoted himself as well as the company Gap. Throughout the discussion, he emphasized the importance of new idea generation in start up businesses and why certain businesses succeed.

“As you are developing your business, think about your story… entrepreneurs are way too close to their idea,” Hanasik said.“If you never feel that you can fail, then you are never going to ever be interesting.”

The experiences in Hanasik’s life triggered the subject of his work. His sister committed suicide at the age of 27 and Hanasik wanted to focus his attention on how it feels not having a member of his family. Currently, he is working on two films: one about the shame in his family about his sister’s suicide and mass incarceration and second about women trafficking and homelessness.

“I wanted to focus on the intense repressed grief that has not been discussed.” Hanasik said.

Alexis Gauba (12), one of the founders of Career Connect, discusses the reason behind hosting this event.

“He spoke about his life journey and it’s very untraditional than what harker kids are used to. Most students were looking at future stem careers that would land them in a good college. Very much what we’re taught to have the correct career but he spoke about his unconventional path and his journey of the creative way, it’s okay to fail, it’s okay to follow your passions , you just have to make sure you do what you believe in life. And that is very different than the technicalities of life.”

Michael Acheatel, advisor of CareerConnect, explained his vision behind this event and why his team specifically chose Hanasik.

“With a lot of focus being on stem related subjects, we thought it would be great to get someone in the art world. He was a good example of someone who didn’t abandon his passions but rather used those to find the best path forward for himself and I think students identified with that” Acheatel said. 

Career Connect plans to host more events in the future.