Electives broaden students’ STEM options

Kshithija Mulam

Seniors Shreya Neogi, Priyanka Chilukuri and Ria Gandhi use a microscope to observe different types of tissue samples during Honors Human Anatomy & Physiology. Honor Human Anatomy & Physiology is among many of the STEM electives offered at the Upper School

by Rose Guan, Winged Post Copy Editor

From Astronomy, Engineering and Marine Biology to Nanoscience, Robotics Principles and The Science of Food, the upper school offers various elective courses in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

While students must take classes in physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics and computer science in order to graduate, they can also choose to take one of these STEM electives as an extra period option to supplement the mandatory courses or as one of the graduation requirements.

Teachers often introduce new STEM electives to the Course of Study. Mathematics teacher Dr. Anuradha Aiyer is teaching the new Advanced Topics in Mathematics: Information Theory course series this year.

“I know that Harker offers a Signals and Systems math elective, and I felt that this Information Theory kind of can complement that course,” Aiyer said. “This course on information theory will actually touch upon topics in thermodynamics and statistics and physics, so I think it’s important for students to see the connections among various topics.”

In addition to relating subjects to each other, STEM electives also provide students with an opportunity to concentrate on specific components or topics that they enjoy.

“I just really enjoy learning about bones and muscles,” said Sian Smith (10), who is taking the Kinesiology and Sports Medicine class. “Students can learn what they want to, like if you really liked anatomy in eighth-grade biology, you can expand more onto that. It’s pretty rad.”

STEM electives can also complement the material covered in required courses through building on those topics or examining them from other angles.

“I think [STEM electives] are very beneficial because STEM is a really broad field,” said Steven Cao (12), who is taking the Seminar in Modern Physics class. “If you can narrow it down to one specific thing to cover in a lot of depth, I think it’ll make STEM a lot more interesting to people, because they can choose what they’re interested in and pursue it more deeply rather than just looking at broad introductory courses.”
The upper school offers many other elective courses in different areas, such as the humanities and foreign languages, for students who want to pursue fields outside of STEM.