Student Directed Showcase themes announced during school meeting

Tiffany Wong

Sana Aladin (12) performs in last year’s SDS. Sana is one of this year’s directors who announced their shows during the school meeting.

by Alex Wang, Sports Editor

The 2016-2017 Student Directed Showcase directors announced their themes last Friday during the school meeting.

This year, the SDS shows are The Importance of Being Earnest, directed by Sana Aladin (12); Removing the Glove, directed by Emre Ezer (12); Grover, directed by Chetana Kalidindi (12) and Dystopia!, directed by Kayvon Solaimanpour (12).

“I’m very excited because everyone sounded relatively excited at the meeting,” Sana, who was a cast member of last year’s SDS play Cheating Death, directed by Janet Lee (‘16), said. “We read The Importance of Being Earnest in sophomore year, so I’m looking forward to people auditioning.”

Junior Mishu Nitulescu, who was also part of the Cheating Death cast last year, plans to audition for this year’s Student Directed Showcase as well.

“All four plays seem to be funny and I’m super excited to audition for them,” he said. “I think the [performing arts] department made good choices; the directors are brilliant and will do a great job.”

Junior Darren Gu also performed as part of last year’s Cheating Death cast, but is still uncertain about whether he will participate this year.

“I really like this year’s directors, as they’re all really cool people. Sana and Chetana were actually in my cast last year,” he said.

The directors will be holding staged readings on Sept. 27 and 29 during long lunch in Laura Lang-Ree’s room for anyone interested in SDS.