Upper School Head Butch Keller named Administrator of the Year

Zach Hoffman

Harker+Aquila+Editor-in-Chief+Raveena+Kapatkar+and+Winged+Post+Managing+Editor+Sahana+Srinivasan+congratulate+Upper+School+Head+Butch+Keller+with+balloons.+Keller+won+the+award+for+Administrator+of+the+Year+today.+

Katherine Zhang

Harker Aquila Editor-in-Chief Raveena Kapatkar and Winged Post Managing Editor Sahana Srinivasan congratulate Upper School Head Butch Keller with balloons. Keller won the award for Administrator of the Year today.

by Katherine Zhang, Asst. STEM Editor

Upper School Head Butch Keller was named Administrator of the Year by the Journalism Education Association (JEA) this morning at 10 a.m.

The award is presented to administrators who support the rights of the student press and are dedicated to education in journalism. Administrators were nominated by JEA members throughout the year.

“I’m happy for Harker, I’m happy for [the journalism program],” Keller said. “There are some other things that come along with this. Ms. Austin and I are going to work on some outreach programs for other programs and try to build on them, so I couldn’t be happier.”

The winning administrator is encouraged to present a session at the JEA Fall National High School Journalism Convention and will give a five-minute speech at the convention’s awards luncheon. The administrator may also propose an ambassador project to emphasize the importance of scholastic journalism to other administrators.

This project, along with convention expenses, will be funded by the JEA, and the school’s journalism program will also receive a $1,000 award.