Challenge posed to redesign course planner

Rose Guan

Hovering over a course title in the Naviance course planner causes a description of the course to appear. The Naviance course planner is the current method for creating a four-year course plan at the upper school.

by Rose Guan, Reporter

Upper school Academic Dean Evan Barth announced a programming challenge to create an alternative to the four-year course planner tool, Naviance, through daily announcements and at school meeting on Monday.

Design submissions, which are due next Tuesday, are expected to combine the contents and functionalities of the Naviance Course Planner and the upper school Course of Study document. Additional concerns for submitters include privacy, ease of use and possible future obsolescence.

“The challenge is fun because we’ve got amazing coders here at this school, so I think it’s fun for them to do a project that’s not theoretical. It’s real; it’s a product that they can use, and the students will benefit from it,” Barth said. “It’s something that I’ve been thinking about for years, and I had thought about trying to do something myself, but we have all these amazing students, so why not use them? And I think people love this kind of stuff, so we’ll see what we get.”

Barth, as well as potentially students and members of the computer science department, will decide the winner of the design challenge, who must then assemble a team to build the described program over the summer and launch it in September.

“Right now, with the labs that the programming students work in the courses that the school provides, [students] never get a chance to actually design anything. The design is always provided to them,” computer science teacher Anu Datar said. “I think this will help the students understand how important design is, and it will also give them the flexibility to choose a completely different structure.”

Many students interested in programming plan to submit designs to the challenge.

“I like programming, and I think [the challenge] would be a good way to showcase my programming skills,” said Shaya Zarkesh (10), who hopes to participate. “I think a lot of the reason Naviance isn’t very popular currently is because it’s pretty ugly, so if we make it look better, then students will be more inclined to use it, and not just as a requirement but actually something they use to help themselves.”
The complete details for the challenge can be found in this document, provided in the morning announcements.