Spring Sports Recap

Kai Franz (9) hits an overhead shot. The tennis team ended their season in the second round of CCS.

Provided by John Fruttero

by Neil Bai, Copy Editor

All spring sports seasons ended last week with strong CCS performances by the swim, track & field, tennis and varsity boys golf teams.

Track & Field

At the CCS Track & Field Trials on Saturday, hosted by Gilroy High School, Anthony Contreras (10) placed sixth and fifth in his 400m and 200m heats respectively. Niki Iyer (11) advanced to the CCS Championships with her first place finish in her 3200m heat.

In the WBAL Championships, Niki also won WBAL titles in the 1600m race and 3200m run, winning the 1600 in 5:08 and setting a new meet record in the 3200m at 10:38. Demonte Aleem (9) won the shot put and took third place in the 100m run. Davis Dunaway (11) won the the pole vault, placing third in the 110m hurdles and second in the 300m hurdles. Kevin Wang (12) set two personal bests, throwing a 40′ shot for third place and then a 114′ discus for second place. Anthony came in second in the 400m and the 200m. He also ran in the 400m relay and anchored the 4x400m relay to a Harker best since 2006.

Sara Min (9), who participated in the 4×100 relay on the girls side, is looking to practice more and improve next year.

“My favorite moment was when we broke the school record for the 4×100 relay,” Sara said. “Next year, [I want to] improve my times and endurance.”

Swimming

Both the boys and the girls swim teams placed fourth overall at the League Swim Finals at Sacred Heart Prep. During the finals, sophomore Vivian Wang broke the Harker and the League Championship record with a time of 1:49.75 in the 200m freestyle race. She then placed fourth in the 200m IM and seventh in the 100m freestyle at the State Championships last weekend in Fresno.

Boys Golf

Boys golf placed third overall at the Northern California Championships in Salinas, the best in Harker history, qualifying for the State Tournament next Wednesday at San Gabriel Country Club in southern California. The team also placed second in the CCS finals last week at Carmel and was recognized as one of the top teams academically ranked by GPA.

“We’ve all been practicing hard and knew that we had the potential to make it to states, but we missed out on it in the past two years,” junior Avi Khemani said. “To be considered one of the top six teams in the states is pretty cool. Hopefully we can win states to cap off this history-making season.”

Tennis

Boys tennis lost to Gunn High School 5-2 in the second round of CCS after defeating Santa Cruz in the first round. They finished the season with a 14-7 record, worse than last year’s 16-3 record.

“I think we exceeded expectations this season because we only had one senior, Ronak,” Kai Franz (9) said. “There are a lot of incoming freshman next year who play tennis, so we can only improve from here.”

Ronak Baldua (12) hits a backhand shot. Ronak was the only senior on the the team this year.
Provided by John Fruttero

Boys Volleyball

The boys volleyball team’s season ended against Westmont in the first round of CCS, losing in a tight 3-2 match. The team still won the league championship with a 16-12 record.

“I think the season was definitely a success,” Jimmy Lin (10) said. “We had a lot of younger and less experienced members on the team and it was definitely a growing experience for all of us. The team improved a lot and we had a lot of wins down the stretch.”

Softball

The girls softball team lost 9-8 to King’s Academy and 12-11 to Notre Dame two weeks ago to close out their season. The team finished with a 2-8 league record and 6-10 overall record, worse than last year’s record of 9-9.

Baseball

The varsity team ended their season last week with a loss at Jefferson to finish 9-13 overall and 5-10 in league play.

“We started off with some really heavy losses against some teams we should have probably beat, but after going through the hardest teams, we became a better team and almost won all of our games at the end of the season,” sophomore Bobby Schick said. “I think that overall, we grew tremendously this season.

Girls Lacrosse

The girls finished their season with a loss to Notre Dame San Jose 19-9, extending their losing streak to nine games. They finished the season 0-10 in league and 2-17-1 overall, despite having a 7-13 record last year.

“I felt that the teamwork this year was great especially the support from our captains and seniors even during tough losses,” Karena Kong (10) said. “Looking towards next year, the team is looking to improve individual skills and better communication on the field.”