Softball ends season with strong matches

Anika Rajamani (9) hits the softball during a game. The team had a good season, including many blowout wins.

by Justin Su, Assistant Sports Editor

The softball team has had an outstanding season this year so far, with an overall record of 7-5 while being 1-4 in league. The girls have defeated many of their opponents in blowout wins, scoring as much as 11 points above their opponents.

“We have a lot of young players and they are playing really well, a lot of the new players are learning the game, we’re being very competitive, even the games we do lose are pretty competitive,” head coach Raul Rios said. “It’s not how we start, it’s how we finish and we plan on finishing strong, a lot of the young ones bring a lot of experience and a lot of energy to the team, and they’re really helping out the older players that have been around.”

The softball team this year consists of eight freshman, one sophomore, four juniors, and six seniors.

“This is my senior year and this year out of all four years that I’ve played at Harker in high school, I think that we were able to start off where we left off last year,” team captain and senior Alisa Wakita (12) said. “We got a lot of new players this year, and I think on and off the field we are very connected as a team and that really shows when we play at the games.”

The team won their first six matches of the season, then lost to Fremont High School and Lincoln High SChool, picked one back up again, and lost their most recent match against Mercy. The team has noted their ability to perform well together during matches.

“In order for the team to work together the best and play the best they can in games I think we have to keep the energy high from the start and just cheer each other on and give each other moral support and shake off all the errors and don’t blame anybody,” freshman Taylor Lam said.

The team now prepares for their match against King’s Academy on May 6 at the Blackford Campus.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on May 4, 2016.