Student body elects ASB council for 2016-2017 school year

Vignesh Panchanatham

Juniors Sandip Nirmel, Eddie Shiang, Alexander Lam, and Ray Song were elected to the 2016-17 ASB council. Students voted in the candidates during lunch Thursday at the journalism room.

by Vignesh Panchanatham, Reporter

Upper school students elected four juniors to the 2016-2017 Associated Student Body (ASB) council last Thursday.

Students from grades nine through 11 voted in the journalism room last Thursday. Results were announced during school meeting as well as displayed on the monitors in Shah and Main. According to academic dean Kevin Williamson, 40 percent of the student body participated in the election.

Sandip Nirmel (11), the current junior class president, won against Haley Tran (11), the current junior class spirit coordinator, in the election for the position of ASB president.

“The first thing I want to do this this year, even before we go into the summer is come up with a concrete plan for what we are going to do next year,” Sandip said.

The ASB vice president for next year will be Eddie Shiang (11), the current junior vice president, who ran unopposed in the elections.

Ray Song (11), the current ASB treasurer, and David Zhu (11), the current junior class treasurer, ran against each other for the position of ASB treasurer, with Ray winning the race.

Alexander Lam (11), the current junior class secretary, also ran unopposed for the position of ASB secretary.

“I think [the ASB council for next year] looks pretty good,” Mallory Millard (10) said. “They seem like they are really passionate about what you are doing next year.”

The six candidates for the ASB elections gave speeches to the freshmen, sophomores and juniors in an assembly last Tuesday.

The speeches contained various forms of humor, including the anticipated Donald Trump jokes, while also addressing each candidate’s plans for the next year.

“I think the candidates brought different viewpoints to different topics that haven’t really been covered in the past ASB speeches,” Nirban Bhatia (10) said. “The candidates that incorporated humor into their speeches made their speeches more enjoyable, while others were more heartfelt than comedic.”

Class council elections will be held on the week of April 25, and candidates from all grades are currently collecting the necessary signatures for their applications.