World History students travel to Europe during Spring Break

History+teacher+Andrea+Milius+presents+an+overview+of+the+trip+to+interested+freshmen+and+sophomores.+The+10-day+trip+will+occur+over+Spring+Break.+

Kavya Ramakrishnan

History teacher Andrea Milius presents an overview of the trip to interested freshmen and sophomores. The 10-day trip will occur over Spring Break.

by Neil Bai, Reporter

Sixteen freshmen and sophomores will travel to Italy and Greece during Spring Break starting today to April 2 to obtain firsthand experience of the places they are learning about in history class.

“You’re going to see some of the best arts. You’re going to learn about the history. We actually see a lot of places, but you also see other cultures,” upper school World History teacher Andrea Milus said. “It’s also good way to know other Harker students, so hopefully we bond.”

Walrod’s decision on the location of the trip traced back to survey results four years ago indicating high school interest in Italy and Greece and because of parents who approached her with the idea.

“When you learn about history, it’s so hard to bring alive,” director of global education Jennifer Walrod said. “Our teachers are so amazing at what they do, but there is something really unique about learning about something in history and then actually going there and seeing it and standing in that place.”

Students will visit art museums, monuments and tourist sites in Italy and Greece with rich and deep history such as the Pompeii. The trip is targeted towards freshmen and sophomores to enrich their studies of World and European history.

“I wanted to go on the trip because I’ve never been out of the country, so I thought this would be an interesting experience,” Julia Huang (10) said. “We’re learning about the Roman Empire and the Hellenistic Empire in [AP World History], so I can see firsthand the ancient cultures’ legacies and what they’ve created.”

Students will visit the Vatican, Rome, Naples, Capri, Athens, Pompeii and Delphi. In addition, they will visit landmarks such as the Parthenon, the Colosseum and the Sistine Chapel.

“I hope that coming back, I will not only have new knowledge about historical figures and Latin history, but also a deeper appreciation for the wonders of the ancient world,” Nikhil Dharmaraj (9) said. “Greek and Roman culture has always been fascinating for me.”

The trip will cost $4500 to $4800. The deadline for applying to the trip was Sept. 4 last year. Students attending the trip will miss one day of class before spring break starts.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on March 23, 2016.