Intel STS finalist travels to Washington D.C.

Provided by Jonathan Ma

Jonathan Ma (12) poses with four other finalists from the Bay Area at Washington DC for the Intel Science Talent Search (STS). STS started in 1942 and is the most prestigious high school research competition. Jonathan’s project involved predicting cancer drug responses with machine-learning.

by Rose Guan, Reporter

Senior Jonathan Ma, who was named an Intel Science Talent Search (STS) finalist on Jan. 20, traveled to Washington, D.C., to meet with judges and 39 other finalists from March 10 to March 16.

Jonathan, who did not win any awards at the event, was also one of 300 semifinalists recognized by Intel STS on Jan. 6, along with seniors Vineet Kosaraju, Sophia Luo and Sadhika Malladi.

Jonathan was named a finalist for his project, “Genomics-Based Cancer Drug Response Prediction through the Adaptive Elastic Net.”

Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 8.37.01 AM

“My project was the application of a machine learning algorithm that can take advantage of relationships between chemotherapeutics to more accurately model responses to chemical drugs,” Jonathan said prior to the event. “I wasn’t expecting to be named a finalist, but I feel very honored to have gotten this award, and now I’m very excited to meet the other 39 participants in D.C.”

Jonathan has had expansive past experience in science fairs and was named a Siemens finalist last year.

“Before this, I went to Intel ISEF, the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, in 2015 and the Siemens regional finals in 2014, and those are both in essence pretty similar to what you do,” he said. “The format’s different, but in essence you’re presenting your position to judges who ask questions of you and then judge you based on your presentation and your responses to those questions. I feel like it’s just an incredible opportunity to share your research with the judges and with other talented peers.”

Anita Chetty, upper school science department chair, has followed Jonathan’s career because of his passion for research.

“In my involvement with the research program, I have been following Jonathan’s growth as a researcher because I think the one thing that Jonathan has done is he has sought out opportunities for himself that allowed him to stretch and grow as a student researcher,” Chetty said. “I think that if you follow the way that Jonathan has done it, that really shows someone who found his passion early. He let his interest drive what he ultimately did, so he wasn’t just getting an internship for the sake of getting any internship; he first focused on what he was interested in and let everything else drive that.”

The Upper School has had a long history of STS participation.

“In the infancy of the research program, we set [the STS] as a target for ourselves,” Chetty said. “I really believe that Intel STS is not just a prize that our students win at the end of a year and that it’s an achievement for that individual. It actually has been much more than that: it has spawned this incredible research program that you see now; it gave our students an opportunity.”