School meeting recap–3/21

Alex Wang

Dr. Muldrew speaks about the 2016 Student Diversity Leadership Conference, which will be held in Atlanta, Georgia from Dec. 8 to 10. Applications are now available and will be emailed and posted on the PCR board.

by Alex Wang, Reporter

Three upper school students, senior Nikita Ramoji and sophomores Amy Jin and Anooshree Sengupta, received awards from the National Center for Women in Computing (NCWIT), which offers local affiliate awards as well as national awards.

The Diversity Committee is accepting applications for the 2016 Student Diversity Leadership Conference, which will be held in Atlanta, Georgia from Dec. 8 to 10. Last year’s delegates to the conference, senior Ameek Singh and sophomore Aliesa Bahri, discussed their experiences attending the conference. The link to the application will be emailed and posted to the PCR board.

Registration for Recreate Reading will occur from April 5 to 7. Rising seniors will be able to sign up first, followed by rising juniors, then rising sophomores. Each student will receive a personalized email to select their book out of the 71 available choices, which include The Little Prince, The Revenant, Yes Please and the podcast Serial.

The Harker Research Symposium will be held on April 9 and will feature four keynote speakers, dozens of student talks, over 40 poster sessions, a drone demonstration and raffle and three workshops. Each workshop will center around one of three topics: bioinformatics, machine learning and making your own speaker. Tickets to the event are available online and at the door. Tickets cost $10 through this week, $15 afterwards and $20 at the door.

The remainder of this week will follow the block schedule to accommodate an assembly tomorrow. The assembly will feature Dennis Belliveau, who will talk about his book In the Steps of Marco Polo and his travels around the world. Belliveau will also be featured in the Harker Speaker Series tomorrow evening. While admission is free for the event, anyone interested must RSVP to attend. In addition, a PBS Companion book will be available on sale for $30.

Cantilena took part in the Choral Music Educators Festival. The choir performed an Irish tune, “She Rises” during the meeting.

The theme of this year’s prom, which will be held at the Glass House in downtown San Jose, is the “after party.”

The spirit coordinators for each class chose the themes for their class dances at the rally. Senior spirit coordinator Edward Sheu chose the theme of the “big city” for his class. The juniors will follow the theme of “beach house,” which was chosen by their spirit coordinator Haley Tran. The sophomores will perform a dance with a theme of “mountains,” at the choice of their spirit coordinator Makenzie Tomohiro. Freshman spirit coordinator Neil Ramaswamy chose the theme of “country roads.”

The boys tennis team defeated Woodside Priory School last week and plays Menlo-Atherton High School and Crystal Springs Uplands School this week.

The baseball team defeated Pinewood High School and O’Connell High School last week. The team faces Crystal Springs this week.

The swim team competed at the Sacred Heart Invitational last Saturday.

The boys golf team defeated Menlo-Atherton High School and Sacred Heart Preparatory last week to remain undefeated.

The boys volleyball team played in the Leigh Tournament last Saturday, losing to tournament champion Leigh High School but winning a tough game to Seaside High School. They host Harbor High School and Eastside Preparatory School this week.

The softball team lost to Kings Academy last week. The team has two away games this week, at Gunderson High School on Tuesday and Fremont High School on Friday.

The track team competed in its first WBAL meet.

Harker Aquila, the upper school’s online news publication was selected as one of 50 online news sites nationwide for a pacemaker award from the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA).

The Winged Post, the upper school’s print news publication was chosen as one of nine high school newspapers to win a Gold Crown from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.

Issue six of the Winged Post will be released on Wednesday at 11 a.m. and will include a map of easter eggs for a Winged Post easter egg hunt, which will include 100 eggs. Of these eggs, three can be redeemed for special prizes, such as a Starbucks gift card.

Anyone running for ASB must submit forms by Wednesday.