Students participate in leapfrog race

Students+jump+around+during+the+spirit+event.+It+was+held+yesterday+during+both+lunches+outside+the+journalism+room.+

Nisha Shankar

Students jump around during the spirit event. It was held yesterday during both lunches outside the journalism room.

by Nisha Shankar, Reporter

Harker Spirit’s Competitive Events Committee arranged a leapfrog race in front of the journalism room yesterday during both lunches.

About two to five students from each grade appeared for the race.

The Competitive Events Committee organizes spirit events for the school that usually takes place during lunches or class meetings. According to the directors of the Competitive Events Committee, Maile Chung (11) and Anthony DeVincenzi (11), thought it was natural to celebrate the leap year by bouncing on Hippity Hop balls. Hippity Hop balls are colorful, big bouncy balls with a handle on the top.

Students were grouped into four contestants per race. They lined up at the beginning of the course, which was marked with cones. Kerry Enzensperger, activity coordinator, and Eric Kallbrier supervised the race. Eric Kallbrier even participated in one of the races. The contestant who bounced first to the finish line was the winner. Everyone who participated in the event received prizes that were placed at the finish line.

“I think it is a great idea to celebrate the holiday in an event because it is not just an event for the heck of it,” Neil Ramaswamy (9), freshmen spirit coordinator, said. “It is an event that’s catering to what is going on in the world.”

Kerry Enzensperger helped set up the course and gave out prizes to the students who participated.

“It was for fun. It was like a spirit event to win some consolation prizes [like] candy and some jumpy frogs,” Kerry Enzensperger said.

Anthony mentioned that they had a great turnout for the race.

“We had a lot of people contribute and participate in the actual event, so I think it went pretty well,” Anthony said.

Andrew Skroback (9), co-director to public relations of Harker Spirit, won one of the races against three other people.

“It was fun to race against a couple of my friends and beat all of them,” Andrew said. “Luckily for me, they had no idea what to do while I showed dominance.”

Other winners during the period six lunch were Arben Gutierrez-Bujari (11), and Alisa Wakita (12).

Harker Spirit aims for at least one spirit even each month, so there will be another spirit event held this month.