Upper school speech team wins awards at Martin Luther King Jr. Invitational

Tiffany Wong

Divya Rajasekharan (11), Nikhil Dharmaraj (9) and Lisa Liu (12) pose with their trophies outside Dobbins. All of them competed at the Martin Luther King Jr. Invitational last weekend.

by Tiffany Wong, Reporter

Nine members of the upper school speech team traveled to Union City to compete at the Martin Luther King Jr. Invitational, a speech and debate competition, last weekend.

The tournament, hosted annually by James Logan High School, invited high school speakers and debaters from the Bay Area to compete in 12 speech events and five styles of debate.

Seniors Lisa Liu and Arjun Narayan; juniors Sana Aladin, Divya Rajasekharan, Sarah de Vegvar and Karthik Sundaram and freshmen Nikhil Dharmaraj, Enya Lu and Surya Gudapati competed at the tournament.

Nikhil competed in Impromptu and Original Oratory. Advancing to the final round of Original Oratory, he was later crowned tournament champion in a field of 97 speakers.

“I had just made some edits one day before and quickly memorized them, but they were small enough that I didn’t flub anything in-round,” Nikhil said. “My results at the tournament earned me a bid to the National Individual Events Tournament of Champions, so that is really exciting for me too!”

Sana and Divya competed in Duo Interpretation, advancing to the final round and placing fifth overall out of 73 duo teams.

“I was never even really sure that we would make it to the top 28, so being in the top seven was really cool, especially at a tournament like James Logan, where the competition in Duo can get pretty tough,” Sana said. “We didn’t break at all at the Glenbrooks tournament but I think that motivated us, because we practiced quite a bit leading up to Logan.”

Lisa competed in Humorous Interpretation and Impromptu, advancing to the final round in Impromptu and placing third out of 101 speakers. Arjun competed in international and domestic extemporaneous speaking, advancing to the semifinal round in both events.

Upper school speech coach Greg Achten was pleased with the turnout of the competition.

“Having four students in finals at one of the most difficult tournaments of the year was an amazing achievement and speaks to the growth and success of the team as a whole,” Achten said. “This is a very difficult tournament that draws the best competitors from across the nation.”

The upper school speech team will travel to Milpitas High School to compete at the CFL Varsity Individual Events Tournament this weekend.