Course selection information night preview

Ashley Jiang

Academic Dean Evan Barth speaks at the annual Harker Summit. Each year, he meets with every member of the freshman class to discuss a course plan for all four years of high school.

by Maya Kumar, Winged Post Asst. Features Editor

Academic Dean Evan Barth will host the annual course selection information night tomorrow in the multipurpose room at Blackford at 6:30 p.m. to give students and parents advice about course selection for the coming school year.

He will deliver a presentation with information about new courses, graduation requirements and standardized testing. Additionally, he will give attendees the opportunity to ask specific questions.

Ultimately, he hopes that students are already set in their decisions based on the meetings he has had with each freshman in the fall semester.

“My goal is to empower the students to be informed and make the decisions. This maybe is confirming to their parents that their child has a good plan in place,” he said. “That would be my ideal.”

Some of the most common questions revolve around advancing to honors and advanced placement classes, sports requirements, and taking an academic class in the extra period option slot, which is not permitted.

Kelly Shen (9) does not plan to attend the event because she already has an idea of the courses she will take throughout the rest of high school.

“I just had my meeting with Mr. Barth today, so I think I’m pretty set for course selection for next year,” she said.

For those students who are less certain of what classes they plan to take, the event can prove beneficial.

“Especially when you’re considering into the future maybe two or three years from now, you may not really be clear what courses you’re going to take or what your interests are,” Karena Kong (10) said. “So asking Mr. Barth about the prerequisites and how you can organize your plan is a very good idea.”

In his presentation, Barth will attempt to dispel common misconceptions about courses and expectations for students in general. His “90-10 rule” suggests that 90 percent of common rumors originate from only ten percent of the population.

“When somebody says, ‘No one here gets eight to nine hours of sleep. It’s impossible here at the Harker School,’ well, that’s false,” he said. “There are lots of people, but guess what? They’re not out there broadcasting it.”

The course selection form for the 2016-2017 school year is due next Tuesday for freshmen, sophomores and juniors.