New courses announced for next semester and 2016-2017 school year

A+chef+serves+pasta+in+Manzanita+during+long+lunch.+The+Science+of+Food+will+be+offered+next+semester.+

Raveena Kapatkar

A chef serves pasta in Manzanita during long lunch. The Science of Food will be offered next semester.

by Aneesha Kumar, Reporter

Several new courses have been added for next semester and the 2016-2017 school year in the Math, Science, History and English departments.

Few of the new classes added include The Science of Food, English 4: Postmodern lit and Honors United States History.

The Science of Food looks into the chemistry behind food and how the food changes when it is baked or cooked. English 4: Postmodern lit focuses on literary texts written after World War II. Honors United States History surveys the time from pre-Columbian to the present.

Students have differing views on which courses they find interesting and helpful.

Zach Wong (9) believes that the new additions present students with more diversity in course selections

“I think they are great to give Harker a whole new variety of different stuff, such as food,” Zach said. “I think it is great that the Harker administration is constantly looking for new courses to add and enrich its system.”

Arthi Iyer (11) felt the food science course is not practical, but thought the new English and math courses appealed to her more.

“I think no one is going to take the food science one because it does not offer any credit, like if a college saw you took food science, they would ask ‘Why?’” Arthi said. “The only classes that are interesting that actually show something important are the Math and English ones. I am going to take Graphic Novels English 4, and I might take a math one [course] next year.”

Some teachers feel that these new courses are valuable developments to the school and help better the student’s education.

English teacher Charles Shuttleworth believes the new English classes added are significant in improving the English department and preparing students for later in life.

“It has really helped bring the English department more up to date in terms of offering students literature since World War II,” Shuttleworth said. “There have been three major literary movements since World War II: the beat generation, the postmodern and the graphic novel. Now, students have the ability to take two of three. That really will make them more aware of current trends and able to be part of the cultural dialogue.”

Students in grades nine through 11 must turn in their course selection forms for the following year on Jan. 26 to Derek Kameda.