Juniors place nationally in Siemens competition

Evani Radiya-Dixit and David Zhu awarded a $20,000 scholarship

by Vivek Bhardwaj and Vineet Kosaraju

Juniors Evani Radiya-Dixit and David Zhu placed fifth nationally in the Siemens Competition for Math, Science, and Technology in Washington D.C. yesterday, receiving a $20,000 scholarship from the Siemens Foundation.

Each year, the competition receives over 1400 individual and team applications, from which it selects 300 semifinalist projects. Out of these, 60 are selected as regional finalists, of which 12 compete at the national level.

Evani was surprised by the announcement, as she had not expected that their project would become a finalist.

“It was super exciting, and the whole event was so surreal just because of the people we met and the act of being there itself,” Evani said.

David and Evani’s research project, titled “Automated Classification of Benign and Malignant Proliferative Breast Cancer Lesions,” focused on making a machine-learning algorithm to characterize early forms of cancer cells.

Their algorithm can characterize cells as either benign, which indicates that they will not spread to other parts of the body, or as malignant cells, which will spread and grow out of control. By automating the diagnosis process, their algorithm can improve diagnostic accuracy and reduce problems with treatments.

David, who worked with Evani on the project for the majority of the summer at a laboratory in Harvard Medical, enjoyed meeting other student scientists and learning about their projects.

“I think it was really great to be able to meet with all these other really smart people,” he said. “These other students just look like ordinary kids but they really have the potential to really change the world.”

Evani recommends that students interested in pursuing science-related fields should try science research and reach out to other researchers for assistance.

“Go out and try, just try a project, whatever you’re interested in,” she said. “It is okay if it is on a small scale or not too in depth, as long as you put your foot into the waters and just get started on your project. There are also a lot of resources you can reach out to, professors and postdocs [postdoctoral researchers], because they are usually really willing to help out high school students.”

The Society for Science and the Public will announce semifinalists for the Intel Science Talent Search, another research competition specifically focused on high school seniors, on Jan. 8 next year.