Red Cross Club hosts annual blood drive in gym

Gloria Guo

Gary Blickenstaff had one pint of blood drawn today at the Red Cross Club’s annual blood drive during long lunch. Blood units from this event were donated to the American Red Cross in the Bay Area.

by Gloria Guo, TALON Seniors Editor

The Red Cross Club hosted its annual blood drive today in the gym during long lunch to donate blood to the American Red Cross.

This week is also the Red Cross’s club week, in which it holds events that benefit underprivileged people in the community. Students participated in Kits for Kids on Nov. 20, an event where students prepared emergency packages with basic supplies and necessities to provide for children.

Volunteers from the American Red Cross set up multiple blood-drawing stations in the gym while a registration area and screened-off booths filled the remaining space. The American Red Cross workers inspected all students and faculty who wanted to donate blood to ensure that they met the donation requirements being at least 16 years old and 110 pounds. Those who passed the check went to one of five beds in the room to have one pint of their blood collected.

“Numerically, our goal is to raise 27 units of blood,” Red Cross Club’s activity coordinator Natalie Simonian (12) said. “We had 36 formal sign-ups; however, some couldn’t actually do the donation. We’re hoping the drop-ins will help us reach our goal.”

Although she initially intended to only help man the registration booth, senior Jasmine Liu chose to donate blood after hearing about the number of blood donors there were today.

“I was actually originally reluctant to donate blood because I’ve always had a fear of needles, but I decided that I wanted to overcome that fear,” she said. “Plus, I heard about how there was a shortage of blood, so I thought it was a good chance to donate”

Arnav Tandon (11), first time blood donor, reflected on how why he decided to contribute to the drive this year.

“I think it’s obviously important to support a cause like this, because there are so many positive effects that come from just one person donating their blood,” he said. “With the large number of people willing to donate, I think it’s really helpful to people in need.”

Even though she did not participate in the blood drive this year, Andrea Simonian (9) commented on how she hopes the blood drive will help others.

“If you donate blood, you’re saving someone else’s life, which I think is very important,” she said. “I think most students would like to be a part of that too, because they might not necessarily be able to donate by themselves at home. But with the blood drive at school, they would be able to easily.”

The Red Cross Club will conclude its club week by selling brownies and hot chocolate in the Quad on Friday for $5 to benefit the American Red Cross.