Google goes 3D with Cardboard

Virtual reality technology changes the game

Substitute teacher John Heyes uses the Google Cardboard sent by The New York Times to its subscribers. Google is one of multiple companies now exploring the virtual reality industry.

by Vineet Kosaraju and Zachary Hoffman

As Maile Chung (11) dons the cardboard box-shaped headset, she is immediately transported from the cool benches inside the Dobbins hallway to a sunny canoe piloted by a South Sudanese child in a swamp.

As she continues watching, the scene shifts, showing the tales of three children, displaced from their homes due to war.

Early last month, The New York Times sent copies of Google Cardboard, a virtual reality platform that requires only a smartphone, to each of their subscribers and released a short documentary called “The Displaced” about three refugee children displaced from their former homes.

“It’s a very different [experience]. You kind of see everything up close, and it gives you a firsthand view of what it would be like to be there,” Maile said.

Virtual reality technology is slowly making its way into a variety of venues, including film, video gaming and visual journalism.

This Wednesday, students also experienced virtual reality firsthand when the Arrive Alive Tour visited the campus. Demoing two simulations of texting while driving and driving under the influence, the tour used virtual reality goggles to caution students about the dangers of impaired driving.

Google first released Cardboard in a 2014 developer conference. To see reactions of students and teachers using Cardboard for the first time, visit harkeraquila.com.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on November 20, 2015.