Breaking the ice

Opening conversations on the dress code benefits the school.

The+updated+dress+code+policy+permits+logos+larger+than+palm-size+to+be+worn+if+the+logo+is+rleated+to+Harker+or+a+university.+

The updated dress code policy permits logos larger than palm-size to be worn if the logo is rleated to Harker or a university.

Pocket-sized logos, no plain white shirts, fingertip length skirts. Concern over these and other additions to the dress code took center stage in the student-run Harker Summit on Sept. 25, in which students from all grades described their issues with the current standards set by the administration.

Non-university logos must be palm-sized or smaller in order to be worn when school is in session.

From the Summit, and the advisory discussions that followed a week later, it has become clear that the issue with the dress code was not its existence but its enforcement.

As students, we understand that having a set of rules outlining the way we should dress is important to conserving the off-campus image of the school. That’s not to say that Harker students are self-conscious to a fault, but most of us would concur that our school’s reputation matters.

Still, too often do we hear of students being stopped in the halls and given detentions for shirt designs that are too big or skirts that don’t follow the fingertip length rule. School records showed that 26 detentions related to the dress code have been assigned so far this year. Especially important is the logo rule, which has resulted in 20 of these detentions. Often these punishments are meted out in public, leaving students feeling embarrassed and stressed after being assigned to a detention.

For this reason, teachers and faculty need to open a discussion with students who are violating the dress code. This way a student knows when his or her attire is against the dress code but does not feel embarrassed. And to their credit, many teachers have chosen to pull students aside to talk about the issue.

Over the majority of students believe that the dress code will undergo changes. Opening a conversation is key to adapting the dress code to something that students and faculty can both agree with.
Over the majority of students believed that the dress code will undergo changes. Opening a conversation will be necessary in creating a dress code that suits students and faculty alike.

Through conversation, the teacher has a chance to teach the values behind the dress code and to understand the student’s perspective on the rules. As some concerns recur, it’s up to the teachers to reveal the issues to the administration.

Ultimately, we students are the ones dressing up for school every day. If we don’t like the rules, there needs to be a reliable way to voice our concerns. Teachers might just be the best outlet for understanding and discussing the dress code.

But policing the halls does not fix the problem.

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on Oct. 16, 2015.